ok so is the torchy big muff layout actually verified?

Started by ode2no1, November 04, 2009, 12:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ode2no1

i've searched a bunch and keep finding conflicting opinions. i did notice on the layout there is an extra unlabeled resistor, but it's parallel to another resistor so i'm sure that was just a small mistake that got overlooked and won't affect anything as long as that extra resistor is omitted. i've already started building from the torchy layout but since i didn't get very far last night due to being frustrated with my soldering iron i figure i should ask this before i get the whole board done.

jacobyjd

I still haven't been able to get mine to work--I have a very quiet output...according to my audio probe, the volume drop is happening somewhere around the gain recovery stage, but I haven't looked into it very closely.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

ode2no1

did you notice that unlabeled resistor? it's right under R7 and parallel to R15. if you didn't catch that maybe that's the problem with yours? man i hope someone chimes in saying they've successfully built this.

jacobyjd

It's been awhile--i think I checked it vs a schematic and adjusted accordingly--my problem resides elsewhere, I think.

cathexis

Mine is built from Torchy's vero layout and works perfectly.

ode2no1

awesome! and you noticed that extra resistor too i assume and just omitted it? i got freaked out when i came across it as i was populating the board last night. i didn't know if it was actually supposed to be there and somehow just didn't get labeled but then i counted the resistors up and realized it must have been a mistake. anyway i'm pretty excited now. i'm using the layout to make a civil war muff and just subbing in the proper component values. after that i'm making a triangle knob muff. thanks guys :)

cathexis

Correct. The mystery resistor is omitted on my build. I just played it and realize I gotta box this one. Amazing amount of sustain. And damn, it's loud!

juansolo

I've built a couple. Yep, just omit the mystery resistor. I also had a problem with one of them being massively quiet. It wasn't boosting the signal after the tone stack. The problem was eventually traced to a stray fibre of wire shorting between the vol and tone pots. It should be loud... Really loud.

jacobyjd

I'll have to double-check mine :)

I'm actually working on a BM build using a nice Tonepad board, but that's going to have some mods and whatnot, so the vero one is still on the backburner for now.

ode2no1

so i finished up the pedal last night and it works :). i compared my clone to my friends actual civil war muff though and it doesn't have as much volume on tap and is a little less bass heavy. i'm thinking about just doubling the output cap. i'll have to play it at decent volume today and figure this out. i know i'll probably never get it to sound exactly like my friends muff considering the tolerances of the original parts but i wanna try to get as close as i can. also i socketed the transistors and honestly, there wasnt a whole lot of difference in the amount of distortion the pedal produces when going from high gain bc108c's to 2n5133's with hfe around 60. i was pretty surprised by this. anyway if anyone is gonna use the torchy layout i found that the wires going from the circuit to the tone pot are backwards.

pandy3000

Hi does anyone know which way round the capacitors go? im assuming the 1uf caps are polarised

juansolo

Quote from: pandy3000 on January 25, 2010, 07:16:07 PM
Hi does anyone know which way round the capacitors go? im assuming the 1uf caps are polarised

They are if if you use electrolytics. I used poly boxes which aren't. I built mine with the suggested 'better sounding' values. Looking at the tone stack it appears to be a rev3 muff with a more bass and a shallower mid scoop than some other variants. I dropped C10 to a 2n2 on one of my builds restore the scoopage to be more like some other muff scoopiness... Well I like it...

Sody

Howdy,
I realize this is an old thread, but...  HAven't been around for about 6 years and was browsing around and ran across this.  I built one of these off Torchy's layout using pretty hot 5088's.  Omitted the "mystery" resistor and it worked great.  Completely over the top and loud!  Since then it's been sitting boxed on my desk in the studio.  Never found a use for it.  The lead player in my new band ran across it a few weeks back and asked if he could try it out.  Sure, why not... lol  HE loves it.  Only thing he's asking is if I can get a little more high end out of the tone.  Will replacing C10 with the 2n2 reduce the bass at all?  Thinking that may accomplish what he's looking to do.  Haven't messed with it yet, as I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it, but...

Sody