mis-behaving effects

Started by 1878, November 05, 2009, 02:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone...

This may be something everyone has encountered and overcome, but I've found some of my DIY effects do not play nice with other effects, especially when powered by a daisy chain ?!?! It's usually the ones which involve transistors i.e. Big Daddy and EA Tremolo being two of the worst culprits, whereas The Uglyface and Parallel Universe have no problems whatsoever.

Any ideas ??

Thanks in advance.

petemoore

This may be something everyone has encountered and overcome, but I've found some of my DIY effects do not play nice with other effects, especially when powered by a daisy chain ?!?!
  Well there's possibility that a ground loop is created with daisy chain, but first I'd look at the power filterting.
   It's usually the ones which involve transistors i.e. Big Daddy and EA Tremolo being two of the worst culprits, whereas The Uglyface and Parallel Universe have no problems whatsoever.
  Have you noticed any differences in the way the power line is filtered at each effect [such as large filter capacitor across the supply lines ?]

Any ideas ??

Something is allowing noise to get through, or is 'making' noise, apparently, but really has nothing to do with DIY per-se', other than factory units tend to have low noise layouts, power filtering and low noise parts to begin with.
  I guess first that it's the power filtering [or absence of it] that might be letting the noise floor creep up.
Thanks in advance.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

The power supply itself is quite easy to check by comparing it's 'DC' to a 9v battery's DC.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Thanks for the reply.

My power supply is a Rocktron 'DC on Tap' affair with 9v, 1670ma total power. The first effect to receive power is a Boss DD-20. When this is unplugged from the chain, the noise from the other pedals ceases. Problem solved so to speak. But, I've just added up the power ratings from all my effects in the chain, and it's well below the 1670ma power rating.

Right, here's where I start to confuse myself and others. Can I use the Rocktron to power another filtered power supply like I've seen on this board, whereby I'll have one output to the DD-20, and one running the daisy chain ?? Would this still affect the signal in the way I've previously described ??

Also, I've tried power filtering before with only minimal success. I'm pretty sure the Uglyface and Parallel Universe don't have any power filtering, but I may be wrong 'cos it's been a while since I built them. Any tips on the best way to re-approach it ??

Thanks for your time.