lm 555 and 556 projects?

Started by pazuzu, November 09, 2009, 09:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pazuzu

i noticed a write up for these on beavis audio, and i noticed some a pack of them a bunch of 555's and a 556 in my futurelec ic grab bag. any suggestions? i am looking for another project to start. preferably in the next 5 minutes. :icon_lol:

rousejeremy

Try the Hysteresis Oscillator with the 555 and an Atari Punk Console with the 556.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

pazuzu

cool. stepped tone generator it is. i was wondering if there was more of a use but i'll go with it. looks easy. a question on the pinout:

if you are looking at the ic so to be able to read it, where is "1" located?

rousejeremy

There should be a circle on the top left of the chip by pin one.

rousejeremy

There's also a 555 in the Uglyface. It's one of those "must build" effects.

pazuzu

ok cool man. i will check that out too.

CynicalMan

Quote from: rousejeremy on November 09, 2009, 11:23:24 PM
There's also a 555 in the Uglyface. It's one of those "must build" effects.

The schematic says that the 555 must be CMOS and lm555 isn't. I can't verify this but I doubt it would work

pazuzu

well actually it's ne555p. it has what apears to be a texas instruments logo and a part number 89an8nm, but the write up at beavis made it sound like this was the same as the standard lm555.

pazuzu

well there ya go. you know the learning curve on this shit is feckin brutal.  :icon_lol:

all joking aside this is an extremely rewarding hobby, and i have already had someone ask me to sell them my altoids tin npn boost, but i turned them down. first project has sentimental value.

earthtonesaudio

The 555 is a really good chip to become familiar with.  It can do lots of things. VCO, PWM, pulse stretching/frequency division...

A couple things you can do with it that don't get much mention in the datasheet: R-S latch (using pin 2 and Reset), Inverting Schmitt trigger (tie pin 2 and 6 together, outputs available at pins 3 and 7).

Also, the standard configuration for the monostable is really not that different from the Schmitt trigger inverter-based RC oscillator, if you really look closely at it.

pazuzu

ok, thank you. that's a little over my head at th  spoint but i appreciate the response. i have built the atari punk console on the breadboard using the 556 but i am having trouble with the pots. if i am looking at them from the bottom with the terminals pointing left how should they be wired (top to bottom)? i am having trouble reading the schematic.

<edit> i just played with it some more, pulled a noob and just forgot to jumper my +/- over on the breadboard. it works. although i am still unsure of the pot wiring. is one terminal left disconnected? if someone could answer the above question for clarity it would still be appreciated. this is the schematic i am working off of:

pazuzu

well, i got it all figured out. not that impressed with the circuit. i have a much more useful noisemaker that cost me 1000$, my guitar. but it was fun to build the circuit.

runmikeyrun

a delay after this pedal makes a world of difference.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Ice-9

You could use 55 timer to build a monotone piano (aka Rolf Harris Stylophone)!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YInxfBILAV8&feature=related

or the same circuit could be used to build an audible guitar tuner.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.