Dr. Boogie ... Mission Accomplished !

Started by billymj23, November 11, 2009, 05:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billymj23

Hi all,
I 've just finished building the Dr.Boogie pedal ... I'm glad everything went according to plan and it's working like a charm ... mega distortion ...
It's based on Gaussmarkov layout and I followed the parts list in every detail ... I also did a couple of modifications I came across in the forum
using two dpdt switches ... one to change between 250K,500K or 1M Gain pot and another one to select 1uF or 2.2uF cap (C1).
Here are some pics ...

A big thanks to Electrictabs, Gaussmarkov and to all and each of you for contributing in such a great project !
...now the only thing left for me is to learn how to play ...  ;D

metalero30

congratulations  :icon_wink:

make a video a share it with us.

pazuzu

Quote from: billymj23 on November 11, 2009, 05:29:53 PM
...now the only thing left for me is to learn how to play ...  ;D

send it to me. i play 5 hours a day. :icon_lol:

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

manis404

Yeah, great job. I am about to finish mine too. I'll resume the work during holidays.

Do post sound samples if you can.

Nice Build ;D
Sometimes to do it right, you have to Do It Yourself.

Hupla

Would everyone recommend building this pedal?
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

manis404

Hey btw, should I use a multiturn or single turn for the trimpots? I tried single turn but its quite difficult to adjust the bias. In fact I don't think I've really succeeded in biasing correctly yet. 
Sometimes to do it right, you have to Do It Yourself.

billymj23

Thank you all for your good comments !  
I'll post a sound sample as soon as possible !

Quote from: manis404 on November 12, 2009, 07:00:02 AM
Hey btw, should I use a multiturn or single turn for the trimpots? I tried single turn but its quite difficult to adjust the bias. In fact I don't think I've really succeeded in biasing correctly yet.  

I think you should use multiturn trimpots ... setting and fine tuning the bias it's gonna be a lot easier and more accurate with one of those ...
I set the drain voltage at around 4.80 for all jfets ... but I should experiment more to check if there's a "sweet" spot above that or maybe adjust the bias by ear ...
Anyway, I wish you all the best of success in your Dr.Boogie build !

Quote from: Hupla on November 12, 2009, 06:56:12 AM

I would definitely do it again ...  ;D

Ibanezfoo

Quote from: Hupla on November 12, 2009, 06:56:12 AM

If you like high gain, YES!  I built two so far.

Ibanezfoo

Quote from: billymj23 on November 11, 2009, 05:29:53 PM
Hi all,
I 've just finished building the Dr.Boogie pedal ... I'm glad everything went according to plan and it's working like a charm ... mega distortion ...
It's based on Gaussmarkov layout and I followed the parts list in every detail ... I also did a couple of modifications I came across in the forum
using two dpdt switches ... one to change between 250K,500K or 1M Gain pot and another one to select 1uF or 2.2uF cap (C1).
Here are some pics ...

What does the gain pot switch have on sound?  I built both of mine without any toggles and I see  some that a few others built with these switches... I still don't have a clear understanding of that they do to the sound.

Hupla

Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

billymj23

Quote from: Ibanezfoo on November 12, 2009, 03:52:09 PM
What does the gain pot switch have on sound?  I built both of mine without any toggles and I see  some that a few others built with these switches... I still don't have a clear understanding of that they do to the sound.

I could be wrong ... but to me it seems that I'm able to get a better low gain tone within a "wider" range ... at 1M and past 12 o'clock it roars !

billymj23

sound & video from dr.Boogie in action ... I promise to practice more ...  :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uczxzxc3RWg

Ibanezfoo

Quote from: billymj23 on November 13, 2009, 10:02:15 AM
sound & video from dr.Boogie in action ... I promise to practice more ...  :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uczxzxc3RWg

Yeah... you need to keep practicing.  That was horrible!    Owww my ears!   :icon_mrgreen:  Just kiddin'.  Man that thing sounds great!  Your lower gain settings sound nice!  Mine don't really do low gain... from about 10 o'clock up its gain city, using 500k pots.

tasos

what transistor did you use?i can't find the j201...any substitutte?

hoopshot

You can get them at Mouser, SmallBear, and I'm sure lots of other places.

Brainbender

did you had any problems with bias? i can't bias mine and it really pisses me off!!! :icon_mad:

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Brainbender on December 18, 2010, 06:14:17 PM
did you had any problems with bias? i can't bias mine and it really pisses me off!!! :icon_mad:

I wonder if there is a good procedure for setting up the bias in the good Doctor!  :icon_lol:

Anyone know of a good procedure or could make one? I am just fiinishing up this build and it would come in handy.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

John Lyons

To start I would just bias the drains for 4.5v.
Then when you get it up and running experiment and try 5-6v and see how that goes.
A higher votage seems to calm it down a bit (which it needs)
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/