Tonepad Germanium Fuzz Face build

Started by rousejeremy, November 13, 2009, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rousejeremy

Positive ground version with 2N404A transistors with a gain on 75 and 126. I breadboarded the circuit and used Joe Davissons fantastic Fuzz Face calculator to find resistor values, http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html 

I adjusted R1 until I was getting 4.5 volts at the collector of Q2. What a sound!

It was a little confusing at first transferring the circuit from breadboard to Tonepads PCB because of the resistor designations. When I finally got it together, it sounded horrible. I was getting 1.65 volts at the collector of Q2 and nothing put spluttery gated crap. It took me two hours to realize I had a 1k Fuzz control on the PCB and had fine tuned the circuit with a 2k Fuzz control on the breadboard. Whoops!

Anyway, now it sounds great. It has a smooth sound that even keeps the integrity of a chord with a third in it even at maximum gain. It cleans up very well with the guitars volume control giving a slight octave up effect on the neck pickup. Here is a soundclip of the pedal.
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/rousejeremy/Germanium+Fuzz.mp3.html
I had an MXR Carbon Copy after the fuzz and added some reverb in Garageband.

It is housed in a Hammond 1590b which I gave a shot at etching using a graphic from the internet.

Thanks to Tonepad and the Analog Alchemy site for the help. Next up is a Silicon Fuzz with BC183's. (I read somewhere one of Eric Johnsons fuzz pedals has those trannies).

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

petemoore

Yupp, and Holy Batman Smokes !
  Thats' a Tonebender, inclined to distort to some degree or help make Drenched Fuzz !
  Cool lookin' box plays your style very nicely !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

jessej

Yes really nice, both the etching and the sound!

What amp/speakers/mic are you using in the demo?

rousejeremy

Thanks guys. The amp is a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb reissue. I just sat my Macbook in front of the amp and recorded it into garageband.

Quote from: jessej on November 14, 2009, 03:49:55 PM
Yes really nice, both the etching and the sound!

What amp/speakers/mic are you using in the demo?

Slade

Beautiful sound from that macbook microphone!!!!  :icon_eek:

Sounds awesome... Congrats.

jessej

I have a macbook too and always thought the mic was quite good, but I had no idea it was up to the task of recording guitar.  :icon_eek:

Your '65 Deluxe Reverb has an 12" 8-ohm Jensen® C-12K speaker (Ceramic). Very nice vintage tone!

rousejeremy

The Deluxe Reverb also has some issues. The Tremolo clicks, the reverb doesn't work and the amp makes an intermittent humming that is activated by the note E.
I wish I could fix it myself, but know nothing of amplifiers. I assume that these new models are PCB as well. I was told that PCB's and tube amps don't like each other very much.