Can anyone here point me to a good explanation of how the boss
ac2 works?

I see lots of filters, a 4016, and a 4052  but cant quite figure out
how it all works

Any help appreciated

thanks

loss1234

Ripthorn

The way I understand it is it is simply a set of filters which tries to mimic the frequency response of an acoustic guitar.  I think at least one of the logic chips is for switching and I think the other one is used to change which filter configurations are used based on what "model" acoustic you have.  Think of it as a more complicated cab sim and it should be easy to understand.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

panterafanatic

i had a boss acoustic simulator, don't know it if was that model, but i didn't get acoustic tones out of it, interesting tones, but not acoustic. so if you build one, it probably won't sound the same
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

GFR

It boosts the high treble by a ridiculous amount so that it sounds as squacky as an acoustic with a piezo pickup. It does not emulate an acoustic at all, it just emulates a piezo pickup sound (which I hate).

The only acoustic simulators that I've heard that do sound like acoustics are the ones like the Fishman Aura. And that's to get an acoustic tone out of an acoustic guitar! But it may be possible (perhaps harder) to use the same technology to get acoustic tones from an electric.

Here's a link to someone who diy'ed an aura-like system (it's dsp):

http://www.sidus.eng.br/vh/violaohibridoi.php

Thomeeque

Hi!

I'm considering build of some acoustic simulator pedal these days, I have spent some time redrawing AC-2 into LTC to emulate it, here's my "drawing":

ac2.asc

if somebody is interested..

It comes with no warranty, user-guide, support etc., but it's free ;)

Enjoy, T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Joseeduardosn

know some of the acoustic simulator verified layout?
I found one, but it lacks the switch positions ac-2 (jumbo, etc. ..) or do not know if so will the change.

Thank you.

fretzburner

Including the selector switch will complicate the pcb and makes bigger.Lots of switches

Ben N

Agreed^. I have, and occasionally use, an AC-2, and to me the switch is pretty much set and forget--you find the least offensive position with your rig and leave it there. It's true that none of the settings actually sound like an acoustic, but seriously, that is a very tall order, especially in analog. There are differences not only in frequency response, but also in dynamic response and who knows what else. If you want to sound like you're playing an acoustic, play an acoustic (and no piezos or magnetics, either--use an honest mic or two. Truth is, in most live settings with a band, acoustic-electrics don't sound like much either.) What the AC-2 CAN give you is enough of a contrast between the simulated acoustic sound and your electric sound to be effective in the context of the song, or to give you an acoust-ish-enough rhythm tone that wont feed back.
  • SUPPORTER

Joseeduardosn

thanks ...
I actually would not use much this pedal if I get to do another project and own departure.
Thanks for your quick responses. ;)