Superfuzz problem

Started by phuzle, November 15, 2009, 09:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phuzle

So I scored a vintage univox superfuzz, but there is a problem with it.  I probed the circuit and it sounds great until the 10uf cap after the diodes.  See http://www.univox.org/pics/schematics/superfuzz.gif

The tone is terrible for both sides of the switch, it gets all buzzy and nasty, and also has a huge volume drop.  I searched and found a post about adding a 22uf cap in between the Q6 emitter and ground, which brings the volume back, but it still sounds terrible.  I'm considering running the singal from the 10uf cap after the diodes straight to the volume pot, cutting out the tone switch altogether, to see if that solves the problem... but before I do that I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!

R.G.

I wrote a whole article at geofex about how to revive old pedals.

First remove the dirt and crud, make sure all the wires are soldered to the correct places.

Next, replace all of the electrolytic capacitors with new ones of the same value and at least 16V rating. Just do it. Get the polarity right and do a good soldering job on them.

Finally, clean the switches and jacks.

After that's taken care of you have some chance of finding out what's wrong - and for having it stay fixed for a while before something else dies.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.