Capacitors In Parallel With Clipping Diodes

Started by Paul Marossy, November 16, 2009, 01:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

There is one pedal mod I have done where a 0.001uF capacitor is placed in parallel with an LED acting as a clipping diode in an opamp feedback loop. Can anyone tell me what affect this is supposed to have? Is that supposed to smooth out the clipping a little bit?

aron

Yes, check out:

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm
QuoteThe small 51pf capacitor across the diodes acts to soften the "corners" of the clipped waveform somewhat

and more...

Paul Marossy

Thanks! I thought that was the case, but I wanted to check to be sure. I'm going to read that GEO article now.  :icon_razz:

teemuk

It's a low-pass filter.

QuoteThe small 51pf capacitor across the diodes acts to soften the "corners" of the clipped waveform somewhat

Which is an effect of the low-pass filter. The sharper the "corner" of a clipped wavew the more higher frequency harmonics there are present in the signal.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: teemuk on November 16, 2009, 02:12:28 PM
It's a low-pass filter.

Which is an effect of the low-pass filter. The sharper the "corner" of a clipped wavew the more higher frequency harmonics there are present in the signal.

Cool, that will get me exactly what I am trying to achieve.  :icon_cool: