Digitech Digidelay with external Tap Tempo switch?

Started by dan5150, November 20, 2009, 10:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan5150

Hey guys,

I have a Digitech Digidelay that I really like except for the tap tempo functionality. While it does work, it isn't easy to operate, especially in a "gig situation". (Basically hold down the pedal for 3 sec. then tap in the tempo, etc.)

At this point I can't afford to replace the whole pedal, but I would love it if I could add an external momentary switch just to control the tap tempo. (Like what you can do with the new BOSS DD's).

I did some searching, and found that someone has been able to rehouse this pedal and add a tap tempo button, but I can't find any more information, wiring diagram, etc.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

-Dan-

dan5150

Ok, so I found this post (the one that I was originally looking for): http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60312.0

It includes the wiring diagram on how to rehouse the Digidelay, make it true bypass, and have an additional momentray for the tap tempo.

I am fine with the existing case, and existing buffered bypass.

Does anyone know if I can just wire in the momentary switch for the tap tempo?

I can't find a schematic for this pedal on the net, so if anyone has further experience with the pedal, that would be great!

-Dan-

beedoola

Quote from: dan5150 on November 21, 2009, 01:44:02 PM
Ok, so I found this post (the one that I was originally looking for): http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60312.0

It includes the wiring diagram on how to rehouse the Digidelay, make it true bypass, and have an additional momentray for the tap tempo.

I am fine with the existing case, and existing buffered bypass.

Does anyone know if I can just wire in the momentary switch for the tap tempo?

I can't find a schematic for this pedal on the net, so if anyone has further experience with the pedal, that would be great!

-Dan-

The way the mod works is that the momentary switch is just a replacement for the stock foot switch.

The new switch is a mechanical TB switch, so you just leave the Digidelay ON all the time, in Tap Tempo mode, and then use the new TB switch to bypass everything.

You could just use a small TB looper to achieve the same thing.

I however WOULD like to mod the pedal so an external switch could control the tap tempo but I don't know if that is possible. I traced the bypass switch to one of the pins on U4.

I don't know if there is a way to "trick" the pedal into going to tap tempo mode immediately. The Bypass switch is a small momentary NO switch. When you hold the switch down for 2 seconds or whatever it engages the tap tempo mode. I don't know how you could get around that mechanically, without having to do some chip programming or something.

I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas on this. I love the Digidelay but it just needs external tap tempo control.

slacker

You should just be able to wire another momentary NO switch in parallel with the existing one, or wire a mono jack in parallel with the existing switch to take the connections to an external box containing the new switch.
Both switches will then do the same functions as the original.

beedoola

Quote from: slacker on September 15, 2014, 03:27:43 AM
You should just be able to wire another momentary NO switch in parallel with the existing one, or wire a mono jack in parallel with the existing switch to take the connections to an external box containing the new switch.
Both switches will then do the same functions as the original.

I don't understand how that would work?

The digidelay's tap tempo works by holding down the bypass for 2 seconds (when delay is already engaged). I want to know if there is a way around that where I can wire another switch  - perhaps to another location on the PCB, to just be able to access the tempo immediately.

slacker

Sorry I should have been clearer,  my suggestion just gives you an external switch you would still need to hold it down for two seconds to engage tap tempo. You probably can't get round this, the easiest thing to do is what you said earlier,  put it in a true bypass loop and put it in tap tempo mode.