BJT instead of fets as variable resistors in phaser?

Started by mac, November 20, 2009, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

i was wondering if bjt can be used as variable resistors in phasers instead of fets. matched bjt are easier to get.
but i do not know if bjt resistance is easy to control, or if there are another issues that make them unusable for the job.
pros and cons?

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

PRR

> wondering if bjt can be used as variable resistors in phasers

If you have to ask, then "no".

Circuits designed for FETs generally will not work with BJTs. BJTs need a DC bias current to have a "resistance", and that resistance is sharply curved.

> i do not know if bjt resistance is easy to control

It is actually "easier" to -predict- BJT resistance, IF the circuit is designed for BJTs. BJTs follow a universal rule (Shockley's Law) very well. FETs are all different.

I have not looked at an analog phazer since the last century. IIRC it is related to an adjustable filter, cascaded. The prime example of a BJT variable filter is Moog's low-pass. Works good, but works VERY differently than most FET-based designs.

FETs are cheap enough to buy by the bag, and easy enough to match by hand.
  • SUPPORTER

R.G.

Quote from: mac on November 20, 2009, 08:22:04 PM
i was wondering if bjt can be used as variable resistors in phasers instead of fets. matched bjt are easier to get.
but i do not know if bjt resistance is easy to control, or if there are another issues that make them unusable for the job.
pros and cons?
In general, BJTs have two problems when used as a variable resistor. (1) the signal voltage must be quite small to not be grossly distorted by the curvature of the Rce response; probably under 10-15mV. (2) there is a significant offset voltage on the collector that must be somehow removed from the signal to avoid feeding the LFO through with the signal.

BJTs work well enough for muting, where the signal is either unaffected (transistor at high resistance) or shorted (signal voltage is tiny because the resistance is so low.)

BJTs are used in one tremolo I know of (EH Pulsar), so there is some hope. But matching JFETs is not a big deal. One opamp, 2-3 resistors, a battery and a meter give you a JFET matcher, per geofex.com.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Nasse

I think I have seen a suggestion to use diodes as voltage controlled resistors in opamp phaser but maybe there is not much advantages
  • SUPPORTER

R.G.

Quote from: Nasse on November 21, 2009, 02:02:10 AM
I think I have seen a suggestion to use diodes as voltage controlled resistors in opamp phaser but maybe there is not much advantages
See http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=80228.0 for a discussion of diodes as variable resistors.

Note that using diodes and transistors as controlled resistors in a setup where the voltage change with signal across them is tiny does work just fine. This is the trick behind so-called ladder filters/filters/phasers used in the synth world. They are used in a way that the diode/transistor changes currents into the summing node of an opamp, not so much voltage.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mac

QuoteBut matching JFETs is not a big deal. One opamp, 2-3 resistors, a battery and a meter give you a JFET matcher, per geofex.com.
my P90 is fantastic because of the jfet matcher!

BJTs are used in one tremolo I know of (EH Pulsar), so there is some hope.
the pulsar and dr quack made me think about this.
and when i was working on my fet phaser i thought about using bjt instead of ldr.
it is challenging for me because of my little experience in this area but if there is some hope i'd like to try something new, just for fun.

my main idea is to "replace" the ldrs in my fet phaser with bjts, think univibe. or work around the dod 595 ldr-based phaser.

mac

R.G.

Quote from: mac on November 21, 2009, 11:35:41 AM
it is challenging for me because of my little experience in this area but if there is some hope i'd like to try something new, just for fun.

my main idea is to "replace" the ldrs in my fet phaser with bjts, think univibe. or work around the dod 595 ldr-based phaser.
Go for it! It can't hurt.
R.G.

mac

it hurts when i fail!!! ... big pride, you know  ::)

mac

frank_p

Don't want to talk for somebody else Mac, but if it can give you persistence:

Quote from: frank on March 08, 2008, 01:48:13 PM
Is it a tested advice or I will screw up again.

Quote from: R.G. on March 08, 2008, 02:20:48 PM
I don't know about you, but I will *always* screw up again.  :icon_lol:

:D