The sound of buffers

Started by powerplayj, November 22, 2009, 07:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

I've built a JFET, single opamp and quad (2 dual opamps) buffer circuits an can't seem to find one to sound as "crisp" as the buffer in a DS-1 I played the other day.  To me, Boss buffers are hit and miss but this particular one was perfect at the end of my chain.

Quesion, when in "bypass" mode, is the Boss buffer basically a single transistor buffer or are there multiple buffers (input and output) I am hearing?

builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Mark Hammer

Dave Hunter's book "Guitar Effects Pedals" comes with a CD containing samples of a broad range of classic and current commercial effects.  One of the more interesting things it does is demonstrate a series of decent cables with a true-bypass switch connecting them, and a Visual Sound buffer connecting them.  The difference is pretty evident.  A nice-sounding (or rather non-sounding) buffer.

brett

Hi
the DS-1 uses 2 buffers when bypassed.  They are both emitter-follower BJT buffers with reasonably large (0.047uF) metal film input caps.  What you might be hearing is either the effect of the base resistor (1k) before the first buffer, or the large (1uF, electrolytic) cap at the output.  I think the base resistor might reject RF interference and the large output cap will definately help drive amps with low input impedance (<100k).
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)