Stratoblaster Improved build

Started by doggins, November 23, 2009, 03:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doggins

Hi All,

I'm new to posting, but have been lurking around quite awhile. I'm working on building the improved Stratoblaster as found here:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Toneys-Album/Stratoblaster+Improved.gif.html

I've tried a couple times with a lot of debugging, but I'm not getting it. I'm sure it is something I am doing, but I wanted to confirm that it has been built correctly by someone here and does indeed work. I tried searching the forum and wasn't sure if anyone built this particular version of the Stratoblaster on veroboard. Thanks.

petemoore

I Spent half a day figureing out DSG legs down J201 facing you.
  Other than that i'ts what it is !
  But I used a 3m3 on the latest one, that brought the glass bright level higher, and the 12k seemed to bias the transistor with a parallel [8k2 or something summed] resistor [I think I stuck a 22k there].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brett

IMO the Stratoblaster is the most under-rated booster of all time.
Beautiful tone.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

doggins

So here's how I debugged this thing. I took out my contact lenses and removed my glasses and looked at the board closely. Turns out I forgot to solder one of the transistor terminals.  I now have boosting, although I think I will try to dig up a reverse audio taper pot as the linear one works, but not so smooth. Thanks for the help. Maybe one of those magnifying holders wouldn't be such a bad idea. ;)

petemoore

Mag-Glass + Close in, High Intensity light [I like 25w or better, quartz on gooseneck]...can't beat 'em for scanning / scrutinizing.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

doggins

I wired up another one and used the reverse audio taper. Much improved! It now has a very smooth gain increase. It's getting to where I can wire one of these up in about half an hour I've done so many now. Practice makes much better.