source for SHORT pcb mounted rotary switch??

Started by loss1234, November 27, 2009, 10:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loss1234

I am trying to build a stompbox where all the pots are (vertically) mounted to the board.
the footswitch will not be board mounted but there is a rotary switch and I would like to mount that to the board as well.

however, the tallest 16mm vertically mounted pots i can find have a bushing which is still not as tall as a typical pcb mounted rotary switch

however i KNOW people use pcb mounted rotaries in stompboxes.

so my question is

1. are there taller 16 mm vertically mounted pots out there? and from where?

2. are there shorter rotaries?

thanks so much for any parts sourcing help

Ripthorn

Mouser carries some short pcb mounted rotaries.  I might be able to get a part number later, but I know I have seen little 1/2" diameter ones that I am thinking of using a suped-up tele that I'm building.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Taylor

I'd like to know this too.

What I do know is that Lovetone used Lorlin rotaries (which are equivalent in size to the Alpha rotaries at Small Bear) and those blue plastic Bourns pots. I think the Bourns pots happen to have the same height as the Lorlin/Alpha rotaries, and that's why it works. But these Bourns pots are ridiculously expensive, like $7 each. So I've been looking for a solution to this problem as well.

puretube

Or: use pots with longer leads...
(e.g.:  diy-"artificially prolongued")  :icon_wink:

Taylor

Quote from: puretube on November 27, 2009, 04:40:45 PM
Or: use pots with longer leads...
(e.g.:  diy-"artificially prolongued")  :icon_wink:

But then you can't bolt the pot to the enclosure, right?

puretube

stiff wires...

(or: hold on to your pot from inside, while tightening the nut from outside of the enclosure -
got to admit that this is often hard to do,
but when you got the chance to do the PCB-layout yourself,
it is do-able when you design them to the edge of the PCB & if the box gives enough room for fingers or tools...)

((those little whattayacallem "pins" of the pots that prevent them from rotating while being screwed,
and that unfortunately often get snipped off to flushmount the pots
are of great help, when you drill a tiny hole for those pins into the chassis
and grab/pull the pot-shaft while tightening the nut...))

jkokura

Quote from: puretube on November 27, 2009, 05:16:10 PM((those little whattayacallem "pins" of the pots that prevent them from rotating while being screwed,
and that unfortunately often get snipped off to flushmount the pots
are of great help, when you drill a tiny hole for those pins into the chassis
and grab/pull the pot-shaft while tightening the nut...))

You don't even need to drill all the way through. Drill a small divot for the 'pin to sit in - if you can find a square topped drill bit - hard to find and requires a start from a pointed bit anyway. Anyway, that hole doesn't have to punch all the way through if you're careful.

puretube

That`s what I try to do too, when the enclosure is thick enough...  :icon_wink:  :icon_smile: