Help with a Peavey classic amp switch

Started by Richy78100, November 28, 2009, 01:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richy78100

I'm wanting to build a new amp switch for my peavey classic 100 rather then buy a new one. I do know that the classic line don't send any voltage to light an led so ill have to use a 9v. The original peavey switch has 2 buttons. One to switch the channel and one to turn on and off the verb from a stereo TRS 1/4" input jack on the amp. I want to make a pedal that just switches the channel and leaves my reverb on all the time. I took a Buddy's original switch apart to find out that the tip controlled the reverb and the ring controlled the channel and sleeve was ground. here is a bad schematic i made on paint. Does anyone know if this will work. I'm sure i have it wrong so i wanted to get some advice before i start building it.... Thx in advance..Rich

David

Quote from: Richy78100 on November 28, 2009, 10:32:03 PM
Am i on my own?

Nope.  For starters, though, your diagram shows no connection to the tip of the jack connector.  Might want to touch that up since it's kind of important.

Second thing:  I have a Peavey Classic 30.  It's set up with two SPST footswitches -- one for the channel select, one for reverb enable/disable.  It uses a stereo cable as you describe.  Are you sure this is not what you intended?  Your DPDT switch configuration would switch both effects at once, and I suspect that is not what you meant to do.

DiscoVlad

This is a channel switcher I made for a Peavey Deltablues (which uses the same foot switch as the classics)

I've used an XLR socket on the box (and an adapter on the amp), so that I can use a Mic cable for an extension, since they're easier to find in a music store than a TRS wired cable.

The schematic for the Peavey footswitch (with leds) is:

When the effect switch is closed the reverb/tremolo/whatever is on.
When the channel switch is closed it uses the clean channel, and the boost channel when the switch is open.

PRR

> I'm sure i have it wrong

Don't be a pessimist.

I don't see a problem. It appears to do right things, the LED/batt polarity is right, the LED power is isolated from switching circuit.

Without knowing the specific amp, it's impossible to say it MUST be right, but it seems worth a try.

You can of course tack it together hay-wire and try, before you drill a box.

Clip-leads are your friend.

> shows no connection to the tip

Rich says "leaves my reverb on all the time", and believes this means no connection on Tip. If so, he's good; if the Peavey logic is inverted, then he may need to slap a scrap of wire Tip-Sleeve.
  • SUPPORTER

Richy78100

>Rich says "leaves my reverb on all the time", and believes this means no connection on Tip. If so, he's good; if the Peavey logic is inverted, then he may need to slap a scrap of wire Tip-Sleeve.

Yeah man. i already had that in mind. i have a old mic cable that is going to be perfect. Im going to wire it up when i get my stereo jacks. Im going to leave one side off and plug it into the amp to see if the curcuit needs to be open or shut to have the verb "on". Same thing with the channel switch so ill know what side to wire the led up to so the led tells me im on the lead channel. Ive never tried this b4 so thx for the help. Ill let you know how it goes...parts should be here by wensday or thursday...

Shepherd

I have a Peavey Classic 50 with a Randall footswitch.  The LEDs light up on that.

deaconque

Quote from: Shepherd on December 01, 2009, 01:02:25 AM
I have a Peavey Classic 50 with a Randall footswitch.  The LEDs light up on that.

Any chance we could get a pic of the inside of that one?  I have a classic 50 as well and have been meaning to build a footswitch w/ LEDs

KazooMan

I don't see any reason to connect the battery to the jack.  You just want one side of the switch to connect the ring to the sleeve and the other to turn on the LED. 

Richy78100

Kazoo,
I thought about that to. Seams logical to me but everytime i see a pedal schematic i see the bat - hooked to the sleeve. I didn't know if there was a reason for it. How about this?

KazooMan

The battery is usually connected to the sleeve of the jacks since one side of the battery is usually ground.  In your case you do not need to do this. 

I dug a little deeper but couldn't quickly lay my hands on the schematic for your amp.  I did find a schematic  for a Peavey Classc 50.  Here is a small portion that shows the foot switch jack on the amp.

It appears that, like many amps, they have the circuit connected to ground when there is no plug in the jack.  When you insert the stereo plug it opens both circuits.  To get the effect to work your foot switch needs to reestablish the connection.

So, your pedal should work fine as you have drawn it, but you will need to connect a jumper from the Tip to the Sleeve to have the reverb working all the time (someone else mentioned this in another reply).

Richy78100

Awesome... Got it right the first time. Thx guys... This is how it works changing the channel while leaveing the reverb on all the time just incase someone else out there wants to do the same thing.