please recommend me guitar synth pedal

Started by mitzrecords, November 28, 2009, 05:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitzrecords

hello, everyone. thank you so much always. im just wondering if anyone can recommend me guitar synth pedal like EH HOG or Microsynth pedal.

if you have pcb layout, would be great too!

thank you!!

Taylor

EH HOG= not DIY-able (all digital)

Microsynth= schematics available if you search (not for the faint of heart, very large circuit)

A simpler start would be the "Synthbox", or according to Harry Bissel, a Big Muff into an envelope filter.

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Top Top

I think the escobedo PWM (with LFO) into some envelope filter would be a good start.

I built a sort of guitar synth box, and it included the PWM, a gargletron w/LFO, a passive ring modulator, and a splitter/mixer. If I would go back now, I would replace the gargletron with an envelope filter (I like it on it's own, but it is more "organic" sounding than the rest of the box).

earthtonesaudio

Hex pickup plus 6 monophonic synthesizers.  I don't have a vero for that, sorry.

Mark Hammer

"Guitar synth" covers a very wide range of possibilities and features.  What is it you want/need such a pedal to do for you?

Br4d13y

i modded my ds-1 by "bending it, then using a transistor as a gate when it ocsillates.
it creates a psuedo ring mod/arpeggiator, and "synths" up the sound.

or escobido's PWM and square wave shaper are great starts

wah pedal/envelope follower add greatly to the synth sound

and if your ambitious throw in an octaver

thats how i usually do my guitar to synth transformation ;D
freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

Tonemonger

I get some pretty huge synth and organ type tones out of a Rocktave divider and an Alesis Quadraverb.
But , I'll always lament the passing of my original EH microsynth.

Derringer

what do you guys define a "synth" type guitar sound as anyway?

got any clips, youtube or otherwise, for reference?

Taylor

I think when most people talk about guitar synths they mean fuzzing up a signal and then filtering it. This mimics the usual subtractive synthesis technique of using a harmonically rich wave like a saw or square and then filtering it.

A fuzz pedal plus an envelope or treadle-controlled resonant lowpass filter does that sound pretty well without any tracking issues.

DougH

Quote from: Taylor on December 02, 2009, 07:23:32 PM
I think when most people talk about guitar synths they mean fuzzing up a signal and then filtering it. This mimics the usual subtractive synthesis technique of using a harmonically rich wave like a saw or square and then filtering it.

A fuzz pedal plus an envelope or treadle-controlled resonant lowpass filter does that sound pretty well without any tracking issues.

I was researching some bass multi-fx units with my son. Every one with a "synth" patch basically did just that, according to the demo clips anyway. They all sounded pretty cheesy to me. FWIW, he decided on his own (no input from me) that he wanted to get some individual pedals instead and put them on a board. (I thought that was pretty cool.;-)
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

cloudscapes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

Derringer

Quote from: Taylor on December 02, 2009, 07:23:32 PM

ok ... that pretty much jives with what I had in mind ... fuzzed out and filtered

so what's a good example of a "resonant" low pass filter?

Taylor

Are you looking for a sound clip or a project to build?

A good DIY project for this is the MS20 filter. Fairly simple build, nice sound. Resonance refers to feedback around the filter. Higher feedback makes for a more pronounced boost at the cutoff frequency, which in turn sounds more "synthy". A non-resonant lowpass filter just sounds like a passive treble roll off on a guitar.

Mark Hammer

When a filter has too much feedback built into it, it oscillates, such that tuning the filter frequency sounds pretty much like tuning an oscillator.  A highly resonant filter will be one in which the input signal is still clearly audible, but the emphasis that the filter imposes aaaallllllllmost creates an oscillation on top of that.

The classic is the Moog 4-pole lowpass filter.  If you look up "diode ladder" filters, you should find plenty of examples too.