Trotsky build.. Tweaks? Diodes?

Started by Beros, December 09, 2009, 05:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beros

Hi.

I just put together the trotsky. It's nice.. but a bit flabby and bassy for my taste.
Here's the schematic:

I soldered the 22nF cap directly to ground. I guess that if i remove it, the cicuit will become more trebly. Any other tips on getting it less bassy? Input cap?

Also, wich diodes should i go for if i'd like a little more bite and compression to the circuit?
Could i change the tranny to one with more gain? Any ideas?

Man ska inte ligga med lik

WhenBoredomPeaks

Beros

Uhm.. yeah.. The search function... ;D

Thanks! :)

WhenBoredomPeaks

2N3904 is noticeable more gain than 2N2222.

Even more gain:
BC109,108
2N5088
MPSA13

This stuff without the diodes is just acting like a booster i think.

I tried several diodes, LEDs were über loud but with not too much distortion, germaniums had nice crunch but low volume. I have a misc. germanium in this circuit now, it is about unity volume if i crank everything. For changing the texture of the distortion you should experiment with a fek inds of diodes like LED, 1N914, and a lot of germaniums.

(i tried it with a really shit amp, and what sounded kinda right on that amp would be too trebly and harsh on a normal amp)

petemoore

47nf could be bigger, that'd let more bass 'in' and so the transistor might have it's hands full more with that and do less treble, it looks like an 'overdo' the transistor + clip the resultant gain output.
  The 22n could instead be...almost too big a value [almost too dull] with a pot to reduce the HF cut amount.
  You could try a little [10k?] resistor at the front end.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Beros

Quote from: petemoore on December 09, 2009, 06:22:06 PM
 47nf could be bigger, that'd let more bass 'in' and so the transistor might have it's hands full more with that and do less treble, it looks like an 'overdo' the transistor + clip the resultant gain output.
 The 22n could instead be...almost too big a value [almost too dull] with a pot to reduce the HF cut amount.
 You could try a little [10k?] resistor at the front end.

I skipped the 22nF cap. Now it screams more. Nice.

I'd like it to be less flabby.. Too much bass. Would a 33nF input cap do the trick?

petemoore

C1 and C2 are HP filters, smaller values attenuate lower frequencies more.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

CynicalMan

Quote from: Beros on December 09, 2009, 05:30:54 PM
I soldered the 22nF cap directly to ground. I guess that if i remove it, the circuit will become more trebly. Any other tips on getting it less bassy? Input cap?

Also, which diodes should i go for if i'd like a little more bite and compression to the circuit?
Could i change the tranny to one with more gain? Any ideas?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simplemods#Simple.2C_Easy_Mods.2FTips_.26_Techniques