where did my output go after building this simple momentary input feeder?

Started by big bustle, December 11, 2009, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big bustle

so here's the idea

have a momentary switch feed the input of my long trailing delay. this way i can feed a single note to it and let it trail out while i continue to play along with it.

i am able to play a single note thru it but when my foot is off the momentary switch i do not have my bypassed signal.

i'm assuming this is because the output of the pedal is in series of my output it is somehow sucking the signal inside. is this true?

if this is the case i assume the first thing someone is gonna say is "you need a buffer! between the return and the output"

there's are tons of plans for passive mixers out there that don't seem to call for a buffer that do this sorta thing.

could this be remedied with a diode?

i would like to keep this circuit passive but i will consider what ever the easiest solution is as long as its easy and has a low part count.

MikeH

Have you checked the switch to make sure it's functioning properly?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

big bustle

Quote from: MikeH on December 11, 2009, 03:23:49 PM
Have you checked the switch to make sure it's functioning properly?

yep. if i remove the output of the delay i get my "bypassed" i.e dry signal back

mth5044

Might it have something to do with your normally on positions feeding the send/return of the delay?

big bustle

Quote from: mth5044 on December 11, 2009, 03:29:49 PM
Might it have something to do with your normally on positions feeding the send/return of the delay?

thanks for the reply.

i'm not sure what you mean.

mth5044

I normal bypass wirings, the output is shifted between the input and the return. In your case, you have the return and input always connected together. I don't know if that could cause a problem, but feeding your signal into the 'out' of a pedal doesn't work, so combining your signal with the 'out' of the pedal maybe messing something up.

big bustle

Quote from: mth5044 on December 11, 2009, 03:35:20 PM
I normal bypass wirings, the output is shifted between the input and the return. In your case, you have the return and input always connected together. I don't know if that could cause a problem, but feeding your signal into the 'out' of a pedal doesn't work, so combining your signal with the 'out' of the pedal maybe messing something up.

my thought is since the input and output are connected the signal should still be present. why would the output of the pedal suddenly suck away what ever is there?

MikeH

Since you have a dpdt switch, why not just set it up in the usual bypass fashion?

edit: Nevermind- because you want the repeats to trail off right?

mth5044

I don't know man, just thinking of some things I see that vary from the normal set up. If you disconnect the return from the out jack, does sound pass?

big bustle

Quote from: MikeH on December 11, 2009, 03:40:07 PM
Since you have a dpdt switch, why not just set it up in the usual bypass fashion?

edit: Nevermind- because you want the repeats to trail off right?
yep

big bustle

Quote from: mth5044 on December 11, 2009, 03:41:17 PM
I don't know man, just thinking of some things I see that vary from the normal set up. If you disconnect the return from the out jack, does sound pass?
yep

MikeH

I bet if you look at a schematic for that delay pedal you'll see something on the output that is giving you a problem.  Your guitar is seeing the output of that delay as an input, and if there's an easier path to ground through the output of the delay, it will take that path.

big bustle

Quote from: MikeH on December 11, 2009, 03:47:05 PM
I bet if you look at a schematic for that delay pedal you'll see something on the output that is giving you a problem.  Your guitar is seeing the output of that delay as an input, and if there's an easier path to ground through the output of the delay, it will take that path.

i was also having this issue with a boss metal zone as well.

so how can one counter act this?

will a simple cap or diode do?

MikeH

A cap won't help.  The right diode in series might keep signal from going the wrong way, it would also make everything coming out of your delay sound absolutely horrible, if anything came out at all.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a simple solution.  The only way I would know to do this would be the switching arrangement on the echo base.  There's a long thread about it here.

big bustle

the more i work with this concept the morei think i need to basically build a buffered unity gain mixer.

i found some stuff using a tl072

i also i assume i can just test this theory out but putting a by passed buffered pedal between rtn and out