powering a pedalboard

Started by 1878, December 12, 2009, 04:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone.

I'm having some trouble powering my pedalboard. I use a Rocktron power supply (9v@1670mA) on a daisy chain which is more than enough to run everything on my board. Problem is, I need to isolate some pedals, mainly the Boss DD-20 'cos they're adding noise to the rest of my chain. Does anyone have any solutions to this ?? Would it be as easy as splitting the power into two outputs, one to the DD-20, one to the daisy chain ??

Thanks in advance.

petemoore

I'm having some trouble powering my pedalboard. I use a Rocktron power supply (9v@1670mA) on a daisy chain which is more than enough to run everything on my board. Problem is, I need to isolate some pedals, mainly the Boss DD-20 'cos they're adding noise to the rest of my chain. Does anyone have any solutions to this ??
  The Digital Delay's can be finicky about the power they consume.
  Would it be as easy as splitting the power into two outputs, one to the DD-20, one to the daisy chain ??
  Are you referring to separate supply source for the DD ?
  A very easy reference supply for testing is available in the form of 9v batteries, wherever you think a supply might be a problem, use the near perfect, floating 9v of a battery as comparator to any suspect power supply or supplies, a DD will chomp it down in no time though.
  See "Spyder" at GEO, this approach allows you to disconnect the grounds at the power supply and use floating 9v outputs = no ground loops.
  Otherwise there are various methods of chasing down PS noise, filtering, regulating, supply filter Cap present right at the ''consumer'' circuit, which yield various results, depending on the scenario.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Right...

I was thinking of plugging my existing power supply into something which isolated/filtered/etc. From this, two or more outputs, one for the daisy chain, others for the more problematic boxes. Anyone know of anything like this ??

Cheers again.

petemoore

Anyone know of anything like this ??

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/Power-supplies/powersup.htm

There it is^
  Isolated = no ground connection = floating output.
  Filtered...can and does involve R/C {other things.
  Regulated, see Data Sheet on voltage regulators.
  The sensative input, such as in a guitar pedal, wants perfectly ripple free DC.
  Ground loops canmay pickup sufficient electrons to become a source/input, isolating supply means there's no ground connection to make a ground loop.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.