Any Tuner chips or kits out there?

Started by mth5044, December 13, 2009, 10:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mth5044

I always wanted to make a tuner  :)

Thanks

Processaurus

Boss sells a kit for $90.  Damned good kits, though they've had a persistent problem with them showing up already assembled. :icon_biggrin:

You could always rehouse something,  I was thinking it would be cool to take a tu-2 and hook the led drivers up to MOSFET's to turn lights in a big display on and off.  Or big LEDs, though they have that giant tuner now, so a diy thing would be better in the novelty direction than needing something functional...

ubaid88

TheGIMMICK is a DIY PIC16F84A-based chromatic guitar tuner. The PCB is roughly 40x60mm so the whole thing can be built into a regular sized stomp box.

Schematic:
http://www.schickt.de/data/gimmick/theGIMMICK_sch_0.73.pdf

Pcb Transfer:
http://www.schickt.de/data/gimmick/theGIMMICK_brd_0.73.pdf

Component layout:
http://www.schickt.de/data/gimmick/theGIMMICK_qv_0.73.pdf

Bill of Material:

Pic Program:
http://www.schickt.de/data/gimmick/theGIMMICK_0.9g.hex

More here:
http://schickt.de/index.php?entry=entry080606-004307

Taylor

Quote from: ubaid88 on December 13, 2009, 11:15:46 PM
TheGIMMICK is a DIY PIC16F84A-based chromatic guitar tuner. The PCB is roughly 40x60mm so the whole thing can be built into a regular sized stomp box.

Hey, that's pretty neat. Like Processaurus, I always saw a tuner as something not worth DIYing, but now that someone else has done the heavy lifting, I may just have to build one of those. I haven't had a tuner for a while.

ubaid88

Quote from: Taylor on December 14, 2009, 01:01:40 AM

Hey, that's pretty neat. Like Processaurus, I always saw a tuner as something not worth DIYing, but now that someone else has done the heavy lifting, I may just have to build one of those. I haven't had a tuner for a while.

Yeah. That very easy for diyers. PIC16F84A is very easily available. And its programmer is also not very complex. Can be build diy.

May be this should be discuss in dsp section.

Fuzz Aldryn

Hi,

The Gimmick: Fortschritt durch Technik.;) If you're able to read german you can find some further information and discussions here: http://forum.musikding.de/vb/showthread.php?t=22936

Cheers
Helge

ubaid88

petemoore

Those gadgets really don't have any instructions about how to tune guitarS.
 Testing guitar tuning accuracy after tuning sessions with tuner reveals the innacuracies of gadget tuners. "All tuned up" by way of gadget has been proven false enough times...check the cross-guitar tuning using sound waves. Make sure you can hear the ''phase rollover'', both instruments made to produce 1 clear tone, both instruments need to be heard loudly enough so the wave-phase crossover 'lump' is easily recognizable.
 The bass guitar low string...no...the A string at the 12th fret, harmonic. Much easier to 'read' and hear than the wobbly mud that often works it's way out of the bass's low E.
 Some of this is accountable by the way the tuners are used, one person may use a more frequent striking of the string, which tends to make the reading appear as a higher pitch to the tuner.
 Amazing how way off tuning gets to be when 'some' tuner is the only measure of it.
 Please check it by ear after tuning the band, at least a few times until you can get some measure the average tuning accuracy of the band.
 Many people just don't notice it at all, others are completely surprized when it is pointed out to them.
 Tuner ? ...no, I just tuned up to mine...[ughhhh], at least share the same tuner, or cross-check the frequency references in them.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mth5044

Quote from: Processaurus on December 13, 2009, 11:12:11 PM
Boss sells a kit for $90.  Damned good kits, though they've had a persistent problem with them showing up already assembled. :icon_biggrin:

You could always rehouse something,  I was thinking it would be cool to take a tu-2 and hook the led drivers up to MOSFET's to turn lights in a big display on and off.  Or big LEDs, though they have that giant tuner now, so a diy thing would be better in the novelty direction than needing something functional...
Quote from: Taylor on December 14, 2009, 01:01:40 AM

While agree, there are really cheap tuners that can do great tuning, I was curious to see what was out there. Everyone can have a BOSS TU2, even anyone can have another Fuzz Face clone or another phase90 with 12 mods, but.. the possibilities of making a neat tuner have yet to be uncovered :) I guess I'm just looking to do something else.

ubaid88 thanks for those links and references! That shows what my fear was coming into this; I would have to program something. You said it was easy, but I don't know anything about programming so I would have to look into what I would need and do. That looks really neat though.

petemoore It is true, I have heard some tone deaf players. I play at home and in a band, so I don't always have another instrument to tune to. I usually hit an E on my keyboard then tune my guitar to the E, that way it is more in tune with itself and a safe frequency.

Taylor

You don't have to do any programming. The code is on that site for you to use. You'd just need to get it burned to a PIC, which people do as a cheap service.

ubaid88

@mth5044
ubaid88 thanks for those links and references! That shows what my fear was coming into this; I would have to program something. You said it was easy, but I don't know anything about programming so I would have to look into what I would need and do. That looks really neat though.
Taylor is right. Wat i mean is burning or copying program to IC. It is just like doing copying it to flashdisk(but from a software).