Low-cost entry into embedded system design

Started by iaresee, December 14, 2009, 01:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaresee

Disclaimer: I work for Altera

But still, that doesn't stop this being hella cool for DIY. For $49 you get an entire embedded system design environment on a "USB key" type device. A Cyclone III processor, Quartus II the NIOS embedded processor -- everything! That's crazy cheap.

If you've having trouble with Arduino-ese or writing in assembler, using an embedded NIOS processor lets you write in plain old C, but hardware accelerate your code in sections using the very slick NIOS developer GUI. Got a long loop that you run all the time? Select, click, unroll it into dedicated hardware in the FPGA. Done. Nothing else for you to worry about. The NIOS dev environment takes care of building up the HDL and the interface your C code needs.

There's a 80-pin edge connector for I/O. The Cyclone III has some fairly powerful DSP blocks built in to it (these chips are used a lot in TVs to do 3:1 pulldown processing on video, audio standard translation, etc.). This could be a very viable DIY platform.

Very freaking cool.

http://www.altera.com/b/nios-bemicro-evaluation-kit.html?contactID=104044888&gwkey=L3MYSY3QBY

tommy.genes

I wanted to give this a bump because I think it is very exciting, but I don't even know enough to discuss it yet.  ???

I noticed they are offering the $39 workshop, which includes the eval board, in Europe and Asia only. Any word on a similar deal in the US?

Thx,
-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

iaresee

I asked the Arrow rep if there will be similar workshops in NA next year.

ExpAnonColin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but where's the mac platform?!?!  This looks really cool, but no Mac development software is ultra bogus.

-Colin

iaresee

Quote from: ExpAnonColin on December 23, 2009, 10:28:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but where's the mac platform?!?!  This looks really cool, but no Mac development software is ultra bogus.

Colin, you're not wrong. Altera only produces Linux and Windows compatible versions of their CAD tools. Sorry man. It's a money-talks type decision. The number of FPGA designers on Mac is...well, nil. ;)

And as a follow-up to the seminar question: they had NA events in the fall. But email your local Arrow rep and tell them you're interested because they're considering a February second run if there's enough interest.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: iaresee on December 23, 2009, 11:22:23 PM
Quote from: ExpAnonColin on December 23, 2009, 10:28:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but where's the mac platform?!?!  This looks really cool, but no Mac development software is ultra bogus.

Colin, you're not wrong. Altera only produces Linux and Windows compatible versions of their CAD tools. Sorry man. It's a money-talks type decision. The number of FPGA designers on Mac is...well, nil. ;)

And as a follow-up to the seminar question: they had NA events in the fall. But email your local Arrow rep and tell them you're interested because they're considering a February second run if there's enough interest.

Hey!  Count me as one!!!  Guess I will have to see if it will run in VMware.

-Colin

iaresee

Quote from: ExpAnonColin on December 24, 2009, 02:48:48 AM

Interesting. What FPGA CAD tools are you running on Mac now? Of Altera and Xilinx, neither of them have place and route engines that work on Mac.

Altera's tools run very well in VM Ware. I've run them at home on my personal Mac that way for about a year now, no problems. The ByteBlasters are found in the VM and everything.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: iaresee on December 24, 2009, 11:39:56 AM
Quote from: ExpAnonColin on December 24, 2009, 02:48:48 AM

Interesting. What FPGA CAD tools are you running on Mac now? Of Altera and Xilinx, neither of them have place and route engines that work on Mac.

Altera's tools run very well in VM Ware. I've run them at home on my personal Mac that way for about a year now, no problems. The ByteBlasters are found in the VM and everything.

I'm running those in VMware too.  Good to know the Altera stuff will run.

-Colin

iaresee

Quote from: ExpAnonColin on December 24, 2009, 02:58:19 PM
I'm running those in VMware too.  Good to know the Altera stuff will run.

Yes. We test with VM Ware and Xen VMs. RHEL and Windows XP.