Sheilded wire

Started by realizewhoitis, December 16, 2009, 12:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realizewhoitis

Where is the best place to buy shielded wire?  Im having a really hard time trying to find some

head_spaz

I started cutting up RCA cables after being so disappointed with the sheilded wire I've bought elsewhere.
The cheap RCA cables I bought from Allelectronics.com has some of the best quality sheilded wire I've ever seen.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

candidate

a soBer Newt

i got a bunch of free coax cable that i am going to use. only down side is that it has a rather large diameter.

bancika

Quote from: realizewhoitis on December 16, 2009, 12:14:31 AM
Where is the best place to buy shielded wire?  Im having a really hard time trying to find some

I switched to using teflon wire exclusively for both amps and pedals. For pedals it gets tricky because it's more rigid but it pays off. Much better and doesn't melt.
There's an ebay shop that sells teflon wire, they have it in all sizes...
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

realizewhoitis

Thanks Guys! Ill give the teflon a shot and the coax

waltk

I've used 4-conductor, 22-gauge (stranded), shielded wire that is called "security" wire.  I guess it's for use in wiring home security systems.  I use it for connecting pots to PCB (just using three of the conductors).  You can buy it by the foot at Home Depot, or in 500ft. spools.  There are sometime also Ebay sellers - be careful about what you get though - as unshielded versions are also available.

MikeH

I've found that old guitar cable tens to be a little thick and tough to work with in a stompbox.  I was in a pinch for some recently, so I went to radioshack and bought a 3ft 1/8" mono cable, planning on splicing it up for my needs.  When I stripped it I found the shielding to be 4- count them, 4 tiny strands of copper wire between the core and the insulation.  Needless to say, it didn't work out so well.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Ibanezfoo

I also use old RCA type cables and just cut them up.  To buy new cables for cheap check out monoprice.com