Paul Cochrane Tim -- what is it?

Started by saultime, December 16, 2009, 11:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saultime

NO, I don't want a schematic. I hate that.

But I'm always in search of "your tone, just overdriven" type pedals -- I'm also pretty tired of diode clipper type distortion that you can recognize from a mile away.

Anyway, I've heard good things about the Tim, and I've seen some impressive demo videos. But it's not like I can just borrow one from a friend to try it out. So what's the deal? Is it something completely different, or is just a well tweaked version of something familiar? Either way, I'm thinking about putting my name on the waiting list for one of these. Wait or not, Paul's prices are pretty gosh darn fair as boo-teek items go.

shadowmaster

The schematic have been posted and discussed in the "OTHER" forum together with Paul himself although with hestitation.

It does use diode clippers though.

saultime

Oh. THAT board.

Strangely, this makes me want a Tim even more.

wampcat1

I'm not really understanding the question... you are wanting to know what type of circuit it is, but not a schematic? In it's basic form it is an opamp clipper following by an opamp gain stage. Other than that, you'd probably need a schematic to describe further.
bw

saultime

Basically, I was just trying to get a feel for what it might sound like and solicit opinions. Sorry about the ambiguity.

wampcat1

Quote from: saultime on December 18, 2009, 05:39:25 PM
Basically, I was just trying to get a feel for what it might sound like and solicit opinions. Sorry about the ambiguity.

gotcha.
Basically, it's a normal feedback clipping type thing, nice midrange, bass control is sort of a pre-clipping bass addition, low pass filter roll-off. I like it! :)
bw

MikeH

To me it sounds a bit like a tube screamer with less pronounced mids... and some other clipping options and... a tone control that behaves like on a RAT.  It's really a good sounding OD.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Talon5051

blanik

it is a bit similar to ROGs Tube Reamer (but better)