[Tutorial] Making a Multicolor Etching!

Started by Slade, December 17, 2009, 12:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeebee

Thank you very much Fernando.  You are an artist, an engineer and a true gentleman!

KazooMan

Thanks!

The third link worked just fine.  Very nice tutorial.  I need to work harder at masking off areas that don't get a good coating of toner.  The tips on sanding are also appreciated.  I have been using steel wool to prepare the surface and it doesn't always result in good adhesion of the toner.

Valoosj

¡Muchas gracias Fernando! Y no te preocupas de tu Inglés ;)
Ahora estoy pensando de un dibujo como los tuyos para un 'swell pedal' (el de Solderman) y un woolly mammoth. Sólo para probar tu técnica.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Cap

Thanks for the tutorial!!!!  ;D ;D

now..i need new enclosures.. :D

frequencycentral

Thanks for the tutorial Fernando, I'm downloading it as we speak. I yearn to produce etches like yours, it's one of my goals for next year.  :icon_cool:

EDIT: OK, just read the whole tutorial, you attention to detail is excellent. Your etches are so good that my mouth is literally watering. My GF thinks I'm odd for that.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Hupla

Hey guys. Just want an opinion. Is it easy to etch an enclosure after you have drilled holes into it? I can imagine it isn't too different, I just want to know as I don't think ill be able to etch for a while but I want to get the pedal done soone.
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

Slade

You're welcome, guys, I'm so glad you like the tutorial!  :icon_biggrin:

Quote from: KazooMan on December 18, 2009, 09:47:25 AM

Thanks!

The third link worked just fine.  Very nice tutorial.  I need to work harder at masking off areas that don't get a good coating of toner.  The tips on sanding are also appreciated.  I have been using steel wool to prepare the surface and it doesn't always result in good adhesion of the toner.

I think the sanding is a very important part of the process. Much people doing their first time etching don't pay attention to this part.

Quote from: Valoosj on December 18, 2009, 11:04:07 AM
Ahora estoy pensando de un dibujo como los tuyos para un 'swell pedal' (el de Solderman) y un woolly mammoth. Sólo para probar tu técnica.

Valoosj, gracias por hablar en español! Eres nativo, aprendiste o usaste un diccionario? Haha.

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 18, 2009, 01:23:34 PM
Thanks for the tutorial Fernando, I'm downloading it as we speak. I yearn to produce etches like yours, it's one of my goals for next year.  :icon_cool:

EDIT: OK, just read the whole tutorial, you attention to detail is excellent. Your etches are so good that my mouth is literally watering. My GF thinks I'm odd for that.

Rick, just give it a try. It's so infinite as what you can design. Some persons think this techniques are limited... Maybe the colors are a limitation, but not the designs.. Just look at InsaneKane beautiful reverse-etchings... Because of that I incentivate you all to innovate applying your own ideas in the tutorial ;)

Quote from: Hupla on December 18, 2009, 05:42:11 PM
Hey guys. Just want an opinion. Is it easy to etch an enclosure after you have drilled holes into it? I can imagine it isn't too different, I just want to know as I don't think ill be able to etch for a while but I want to get the pedal done soone.

You can do it by protecting the holes (after the hard sanding work) with masking tape. The difference is that you won't immerse the enclosure on the etchant, but you shed the etchant over the designs in drops very carefully, just protect the areas around the designs and all the parts of the enclosure that don't have designs.

Hupla

Quote from: Slade on December 18, 2009, 05:49:42 PM

Quote from: Hupla on December 18, 2009, 05:42:11 PM

You can do it by protecting the holes (after the hard sanding work) with masking tape. The difference is that you won't immerse the enclosure on the etchant, but you shed the etchant over the designs in drops very carefully, just protect the areas around the designs and all the parts of the enclosure that don't have designs.

So it's not a good idea to immerse it in the etchant but you can still do it? im not familiar with the drip technique seems more awkward.

Valoosj

Quote from: Slade on December 18, 2009, 05:49:42 PM

Quote from: Valoosj on December 18, 2009, 11:04:07 AM

Valoosj, gracias por hablar en español! Eres nativo, aprendiste o usaste un diccionario? Haha.

Vivo en Bélgica, un pequeño país que nadie conoce y necesitamos aprender lenguas. ¿Porque quién habla néerlandes?
Estudio Inglés y Español en el instituto superior de Amberes, y hablo un poco de francés y allemán.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Slade

Quote from: Hupla on December 18, 2009, 05:57:45 PM
So it's not a good idea to immerse it in the etchant but you can still do it? im not familiar with the drip technique seems more awkward.

I don't recommend doing the immersion in this case, I recommend to shed the etchant over the designs carefully ;).

Quote from: Valoosj on December 18, 2009, 06:00:03 PM
Vivo en Bélgica, un pequeño país que nadie conoce y necesitamos aprender lenguas. ¿Porque quién habla néerlandes?
Estudio Inglés y Español en el instituto superior de Amberes, y hablo un poco de francés y allemán.
Ok, estás escribiendo muy bien, falta escucharte hablar para evaluarte! Haha, sólo bromeo. Ni siquiera conocía el nombre de tu idioma, pero si he escuchado mucho de Bélgica ;) Yo intento dar a conocer Chile al mundo a través de mi trabajo, es una buena forma!

davent

Great job on the tutorial Fernando, thnaks for sharing!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Slade

guitarman89

built: MXR Dist+,dod250-280,dr boogey,IC buffers,cmos drive,multiface,20W SS pwr amps,phase90,tubescreamer,rat,amzMB,wuly mammoth,dod280,zombie chorus
under constur:60W 3886 amp,jcm800 em
www.myspace.com/guitarmanbll
www.myspace.com/filospinatopunk

Hupla

Quote from: Slade on December 18, 2009, 07:56:13 PM
Quote from: Hupla on December 18, 2009, 05:57:45 PM

I don't recommend doing the immersion in this case, I recommend to shed the etchant over the designs carefully ;).
{

So do ya let the etchant run over it or like let it puddle on the part you want to etch?

Slade

Quote from: Hupla on December 20, 2009, 10:42:16 AM
So do ya let the etchant run over it or like let it puddle on the part you want to etch?
The second.
Just shed the etchant in drops over the designs until you cover them completely (You don't need to cover all the surface, just the designs, the surface must be protected with nail enamel and masking tape), then use a tip to remove the metal rests while the etchant is still working, like stirring it. Once the etchant is agglomerated just use a napskin to take off this rest, clean the enclosure with water and an old toothbrush and see if the etching is deep enough. Here I let you some pictures explaining this:

Hupla

Quote from: Slade on December 20, 2009, 11:05:50 AM
Quote from: Hupla on December 20, 2009, 10:42:16 AM
The second.
Just shed the etchant in drops over the designs until you cover them completely (You don't need to cover all the surface, just the designs, the surface must be protected with nail enamel and masking tape), then use a tip to remove the metal rests while the etchant is still working, like stirring it. Once the etchant is agglomerated just use a napskin to take off this rest, clean the enclosure with water and an old toothbrush and see if the etching is deep enough. Here I let you some pictures explaining this:

Thanks very much. it makes alot of sense now.

Slade

Quote from: Hupla on December 20, 2009, 11:14:48 AM
You're welcome. I want to see the etchings you'll do in the future ;)

Hupla

Quote from: Slade on December 20, 2009, 03:25:45 PM
Quote from: Hupla on December 20, 2009, 11:14:48 AM
You're welcome. I want to see the etchings you'll do in the future ;)

I should have one in the next few weeks, and looks like i wont have to do the drip technique :)

Thanks so much for your tutorial.