about capacitor types.

1. gm-caps-film-box

when i check mouser for film caps i get this list:
 • Film Suppression Capacitors  (5,225)
 • Polyester Film Capacitors (18,503)
 • Polypropylene Capacitors (12,246)
 • SMD Film Capacitors (2,025)
 • Specialty Film Capacitors (565)

i am assuming polyester film? what tolerance?

2. gm-caps-film-chicklet

what is a chicklet?

i am getting my parts list here:

http://gaussmarkov.net/layouts/drboo/drboo-project.pdf

any help is appreciated.

Hupla

Yeah polyester film. And I think the chicklet one doesnt matter and you can use film for it aswell. But Im not very sure what it is.
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

ubersam

chiclets gum:

"chiclet" capacitor:

notice the resemblance?

burdt

regarding differences in caps:

i built two dr boogies and one ended up sounding "vintage" and the other ended up sounding "modern," although they were very subtle differences. the "vintage" sounding one had lower quality caps i bought from futurlec, chiclet style. the modern sounding one had wima box caps. i ended up liking the "vintage" sounding one more. The dr boogie with the higher quality caps sounded too uptight for me whereas the one with the crappier caps had a more forgiving, (i.e. musical) edge, even if it was a bit more hissy.  quality in components doesn't always translate to "quality" in sound. human ears, in general, tend to like mushier imperfect stuff. i can't speak for everyone though and your mileage may vary. 

one thing quality components will give you is a friendlier noise floor, but then again, that will also depend on the quality of assembly and shielding, etc...

Build it with what you have at hand. The worst that could happen is having to build another one with different parts just to see the difference because your curiosity is killing you...
HUBRIS

pazuzu

Quote from: burdt on December 17, 2009, 08:12:37 PM
regarding differences in caps:

i built two dr boogies and one ended up sounding "vintage" and the other ended up sounding "modern," although they were very subtle differences. the "vintage" sounding one had lower quality caps i bought from futurlec, chiclet style. the modern sounding one had wima box caps. i ended up liking the "vintage" sounding one more. The dr boogie with the higher quality caps sounded too uptight for me whereas the one with the crappier caps had a more forgiving, (i.e. musical) edge, even if it was a bit more hissy.  quality in components doesn't always translate to "quality" in sound. human ears, in general, tend to like mushier imperfect stuff. i can't speak for everyone though and your mileage may vary.  

one thing quality components will give you is a friendlier noise floor, but then again, that will also depend on the quality of assembly and shielding, etc...

Build it with what you have at hand. The worst that could happen is having to build another one with different parts just to see the difference because your curiosity is killing you...

thank you. i have to make an order for the bias pots and the trans' so i am going to pile it on for the shipping. plus i am making 2, one for a friend so i want to use low noise "pro" grade stuff. so these?:

http://mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Film-Capacitors/Polyester-Film-Capacitors/_/N-5g7w?Keyword=wima

also, what tolerance should i go with, or does it matter?

burdt

these are the ones i have:

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS2-022-63-5/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvOcEq4GH1AAhjOam8UkMp5yI/ju5HpMYU%3d

they are 5% tolerance 63 v wima poly film box caps.

they worked on my boogie so you should be ok. i got mine from pedal parts plus.  linky link:

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=3029&Category_Code=CAPF

they also sell trimpots at a reasonable price, in case you want to save on shipping and get everything from one place.  good luck with the build. i'm about to put a couple dr boogies together myself.
HUBRIS