thermal stripping

Started by caress, December 18, 2009, 11:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caress

ppatchmods

that would be nice...but for that price i'll continue to live in the stone ages  :'(
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

caress

found one on ebay for $39 after shipping.  totally worth it...

R.G.

Quote from: ppatchmods on December 18, 2009, 12:03:50 PM
that would be nice...but for that price i'll continue to live in the stone ages  :'(
I got one for under $30 at a surplus place.

You don't know how much you want a thermal wire stripper until the first time you use one.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

amptramp

Thermal strippers are used in military and spacecraft production (and I have been in both) because they can strip the wire without nicking the surface of it.  Wire nicks from stripping were considered to be detrimental to reliability.  We used to use teflon, kynar and kevlar wire insulation for different applications and these strippers handled them all.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: amptramp on December 19, 2009, 07:29:56 PM
Thermal strippers are used in military and spacecraft production (and I have been in both) because they can strip the wire without nicking the surface of it.  Wire nicks from stripping were considered to be detrimental to reliability.  We used to use teflon, kynar and kevlar wire insulation for different applications and these strippers handled them all.

I can understand that for those sorts of applications. And it would also depend on the wire gage and type of wire (stranded, solid core).

But it think it would actually more of a pain in the rear (and slower) for me to use a thermal stripper as opposed to a regular wire stripper when I am building 40 or 50 pedals at a time. I use teflon wire all the time, and the wire strippers I use cut thru it very nicely, without messing up the stranded wire inside. I could how it could help with short lengths of wire, though, as my wire strippers simply want to pull the insulation right off the wire. That's why I sometimes just solder the wire to the pots or PCB first before cutting and stripping the wire. It depends on whose pedals I am building as they need a different approach from eachother.