Tonepad Small Stone help

Started by jkokura, December 19, 2009, 11:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

A while back I posted about my Tonepad Orange squeezer was giving me issues, and that I had more tonepad problems coming down the pipe. Here it is - I'll start with this one, and perhaps it will help me fix the other ones.

Here's the original project file: http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=7

The problem I'm having is a bit strange. When using a battery (new one) I can get sound through the unit when in bypass, but when I engage the effect I get a sound at about half the db with NO effect happening. The LED lights up when the the effect is engaged. Also, I'm using a DPDT stop switch rather than a toggle, and when it's engaged there's nothing happening at all, but the LED is on. A quick note, instead of the 0.1uF cap I'm supposed to use on the switch, I used a 0.15uF cap cause that's all I had available. Everything else seems to be fine, and I've inspected everything I can. I don't have an audio probe, and my DMM isn't working %100 so until I get that working right or get another I can't take all the measurements I want to.

When I plug a powersupply I get nothing at all in bypass or engaged. I'm using this part from Smallbear as the DC jack: Http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=92

If someone has an idea about what could be wrong, let me know. When I get readings and pictures taken I'll be sure to post them.

Also, I'm having almost identical problems in two other tonepad projects I'm working on - the Ross Compressor and Tube Screamer.

My Orange Squeezer is working great, both with a battery and with a DC jack. I have a Small Clone from tonepad working with the battery, but plugging into the DC jack doesn't work. My DC powersupply is a Boss 9.6V 200Ma supply.

Thanks for the help in advance.

petemoore

Perhaps the stompswitch needed to be turned 1/4 turn
prior to wiring?
  If the DMM has 'beep mode' continuity checker, or, [LED and battery, but you'd want to make the test unit with battery clip, current limiting resistor and probes] ..anything that indicates a complete/open circuit, switch orientation
can be checked.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jkokura

1.What does it do, not do, and sound like? See above

2.Name of the circuit = Small Stone

3.Source of the circuit (URL of schematic or project) = Tonepad (See above)

4.Any modifications to the circuit? Y or N = Y - changed DPDT toggle switch to DPDT Stompswitch

5.Any parts substitutions? If yes, list them. = changed 0.1uF cap attached to switch to 0.15uF

6.Positive ground to negative ground conversion? Y or N = Not sure. I'd like to know what that means.

7.Turn your meter on, set it to the 10V or 20V scale. Remove the battery from the battery clip. Probe the battery terminals with the meter leads before putting it in the clip. What is the out of circuit battery voltage? => 8.92

Now insert the battery into the clip. If your effect is wired so that a plug must be in the input or output jack to turn the battery power on, insert one end of a cord into that jack. Connect the negative/black meter lead to signal ground by clipping the negative/black lead to the outer sleeve of the input or output jack, whichever does not have a plug in it. With the negative lead on signal ground, measure the following:

Voltage at the circuit board end of the red battery lead = 8.9

Voltage at the circuit board end of the black battery lead = 0

Now, using the original schematic as a reference for which part is which (that is, which transistor is Q1, Q2, etc. and which IC is IC1, IC2, C1, and so on) measure and list the voltage on each pin of every transistor and IC. Just keep the black lead on ground, and touch the pointed end of the red probe to each one in turn. Report the voltages as follows:

Q1
C = 6.74
B = 2.78
E = 2.35

Q2
C= 4.28
B= 6.6
E= 7.18

Q3
C = 7.23
B = 3.99
E = 3.52

Q4
C = 7.27
B = 3.52
E = 2.93

Q5
C = 7.25
B = 3.99
E = 3.52

Q6
C = 7.28
B = 3.53
E = 2.93

Q7
C = 7.25
B = 3.94
E = 3.53

Q8
C = 0
B = 3.53
E = 2.93

Q9
C = 7.25
B = 3.97
E = 3.55

Q10
C = 7.29
B = 3.55
E = 2.93

Q11
C = 5.3
B = 5.88
E = 5.96

Q12
C = 5.96
B = 5.29
E = 5.97

Q13
C = 7.26
B = 5.91
E = 5.4

Q14
C = 4.86
B = 5.4
E = 5.89

IC1
P1 0
P2 2.94
P3 2.94
P4 0
P5 0.61
P6 3.99
P7 7.29
P8 0

IC2 same as IC1

IC3 same as IC1, 2

IC4 same as IC1, 2, 3

IC5
P1 0
P2 5.31
P3 5.88
P4 0
P5 0.69
P6 5.88
P7 7.29
P8 0

jkokura

jkokura

bump - I'm hoping for someone to look at the numbers and tell me that it's a problem on my PCB or it's a problem with my wiring...

jkokura

I got this partially working!

So it's giving me good clean signal in bypass, and when I turn the pedal on it's working slightly - I get clean signal with a small volume drop. When I click the color switch over I get a different tone. There's none of the swishy goodness a phaser is supposed to give at all.

Any thoughts? Haven't touched the board, just redid the wiring.

Thanks, Jacob