Troubleshooting big muff tone

Started by Smoky Barnable, December 20, 2009, 04:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoky Barnable

I just had a general question about my ggg big muff violet version I recently put together. The tone seems off to my ear. When the tone is turned all the way up it has a cool mosquito fuzz sound that's very trebly but when I turn the tone slightly down it instantly becomes really muffled....like there is no midrange. In other words if my tone level range was 1 to 10 then it sounds very muffled from 1-9 and on 10 it instantly becomes very shrill. My voltages seem normal on my transistors. Any troubleshooting tips?

Thanks.

Mark Hammer

Sounds like you have the wrong pot taper.  The tone control should be linear taper so as to provide a smooth transition/pan from the highpass filter output to the lowpass filter output.

Apart from that, you can play with the extent and location of midscoop by consulting the various documents on Jack Orman's AMZ site:  http://www.muzique.com/lab/main.htm

Smoky Barnable

I did have the log and linear pots switched around! I assumed all the pots were the same when I got my kit. I didn't realize they were different until I looked closer at the wiring diagram.

Thanks.
:)

John Lyons

That being said, the BM tone control has a small
sweet spot and a good amount of mid scoop normally.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/