News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

5-knob 1590B

Started by CynicalMan, December 20, 2009, 02:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CynicalMan

Has anyone made an effect in a 1590B using 5 knobs, with the box vertically oriented, and with the usual battery, 3PDT, input/output, DC jack, and LED? Most 1590B 5-knob designs are done with the box oriented horizontally, like here, but, using 9mm pots and 1/2" knobs, it seems that might not necessary. More specifically, I'd like to be able to have a board attached to one row of the pots at a right angle to their leads. Is this possible or am I missing something? ???

The Tone God

Heres Payback(s) with six controls. My current record is seven controls. If I had two more millimetres I could get eight.

Andrew

CynicalMan

Quote from: The Tone God on December 20, 2009, 03:05:16 PM
Heres Payback(s) with six controls. My current record is seven controls. If I had two more millimetres I could get eight.

Andrew
What I mean by vertically oriented is that a 1590B would have 5 knobs but instead of having the input and output on the short sides, having them on the long sides, like most 1590B boxes are built. Something like this but with 5 knobs instead of the one knob and two switches:

I've been going over the sizes and it does seem possible, though tight.

The Tone God

Ah I see what you mean.

:::fires up CAD software:::

Two open frame jacks on one side leave approx. 46mm of space before you hit the screw posts in the corners. 9mm pots are actually around 10mm outer. 5x10mm = 50mm and that leaves no spaces between the pots and your drilling would have to be precise with no error. I would say no you can't do it.

On jack on one side will give you approx. 69mm of space.

Andrew

CynicalMan

Quote from: The Tone God on December 20, 2009, 03:59:07 PM
Ah I see what you mean.

:::fires up CAD software:::

Two open frame jacks on one side leave approx. 46mm of space before you hit the screw posts in the corners. 9mm pots are actually around 10mm outer. 5x10mm = 50mm and that leaves no spaces between the pots and your drilling would have to be precise with no error. I would say no you can't do it.

On jack on one side will give you approx. 69mm of space.

Andrew

OK, but what  if I have them in two rows, with three in one and two in the other. The two rows together would be 28mm wide (the pots are 14mm long and 10mm wide) and 30mm long (3x10mm). Hammond boxes are 56.5mm wide on the inside, and 28mmx30mm fits easily within 46mmx56.5mm.
Here's a diagram of what I mean:

ubersam

not exactly a 1590B but the closest BUD equivalent (CU-124 4.38"x2.38"x1.06")

CynicalMan

Quote from: ubersam on December 20, 2009, 07:22:01 PM

Even without small pots! I guess my idea should be possible then.

Although I'm considering making it 6 knobs. :icon_redface:

davent

With small pots, 1/2" knobs and vertically mounted board you should have lots of room. Just quickly drew this up to give you the idea.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

ubersam

Quote from: CynicalMan on December 20, 2009, 07:46:30 PM

I was using 16mm pots, so yes, you could fit 6 but you'll have to relocate the DC jack and maybe sacrifice the battery.

davent

Didn't notice the small print but, you can get 4 across with the small pots if you need to so you could do a row of four and a row of two or less exacting, two rows of three to get your six on there.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

The Tone God

A couple of notes. Not all 9V batteries and their connectors are the same size. In some cases you may need to wedge the battery on an angle to fit. If you put the footswitch too close to the battery then it won't fit.

If you do plan on side by side jacks then some style jacks may not fit. The jacks in my second pic will barely but the black plastic ones in my third and fifth pic will not unless you cut the jack connectors down which can get messy.

You will probably have to float the board over some parts like the pots. This means the height of the parts like caps, ICs in their sockets, etc., will matter more otherwise you will not be able to close the lid. Also mounting the board becomes alittle odd.

Make sure you think these things through before otherwise you end up with a real hack job, speaking from experience. :icon_redface:

jacobyjd

This is an interesting thread--I've done 4 16mm pots in a 1590B, no problem. However, I never include a battery. If I attempted 5 or 6, I'd definitely move toward the 9mm pots.

In any case, I mount my board w/ 2-sided foam tape for these kinds of tight layouts, and that seems to work great.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

CynicalMan

Quote from: davent on December 20, 2009, 11:13:27 PM

Didn't notice the small print but, you can get 4 across with the small pots if you need to so you could do a row of four and a row of two or less exacting, two rows of three to get your six on there.

dave

Does that mean you can do two rows of four for eight knobs? :icon_twisted: 8 knobs with room for a battery would be crazy.

Quote from: The Tone God on December 21, 2009, 02:54:51 AM
You will probably have to float the board over some parts like the pots. This means the height of the parts like caps, ICs in their sockets, etc., will matter more otherwise you will not be able to close the lid. Also mounting the board becomes alittle odd.

Since the pins of the pot go out parallel to the top of the box, I was thinking of having the board perpendicular the the top of the box, and soldering the pots directly to the board. The board would have to be short, but I can manage that; it's a simple circuit.

Ice-9

[quote author=CynicalMan link=topic=81026.msg670697#msg670697 date=1261406749

Since the pins of the pot go out parallel to the top of the box, I was thinking of having the board perpendicular the the top of the box, and soldering the pots directly to the board. The board would have to be short, but I can manage that; it's a simple circuit.

[/quote]

Yes thats exactly how i have done it in this picture, althoygh this one is only a 3 pot version there is still plenty of room in the box for a second 3 pot pcb, which i have done but dont have a picture of.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

davent

Quote from: CynicalMan on December 21, 2009, 09:45:49 AM

Does that mean you can do two rows of four for eight knobs? :icon_twisted: 8 knobs with room for a battery would be crazy.

Well assuming my measurements of the inside dimensions  of a 1590b are any good, aaaaand it's never safe to assume anything, yeah i suppose. My inside width in the drawing is 2.11... inches. Placing the  pots slightly less then 1/32" in from the sides  gives you 1/16" between 1/2" knobs again based on my measurements and ability to transfer those measurements to a drawing. My battery/connector drawing measures 2.125 x 0.7185". I've certainly never pushed the limits/precision of the measurements but anyways... here's a little more playtime fun.

dave

newfish

That's a superb piece of thinking!

I had a nagging feeling that people would end up using dual-ganged pots.

Good job!
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

Jarno

LOL, and I thought 6 knobs in a B was crazy :-)

Tony Forestiere

Davent
What software are you using for the vector rendering?
Very Nice :)
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

davent

Thanks Tony,

For drafting stuff, from pedal layouts/drilling guides to the shed i've been working on i use an older version of TurboCAD, v10.2. Back in my Windows 98 days TurboCAD had a free version they offered that did everything i needed and more. When i upgraded to an XP computer the free version was not upgraded to work with the XP operating system. The latest release of TurboCAD was going to cost many hundreds of dollars so i looked for and found the most current version  that i could use on both the '98'  & XP computers and that was  v10.2. I paid $25 for it at Amazon and it's way more software then I'll ever need or use, i barely scratch the surface. Turns out TurboCAD is the software that is used at my daughter's school for some of the tech courses offered there.

Take care
dave