Help suggest a torture device...

Started by erix, December 23, 2009, 10:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erix

heh.  made you look!

my twin 13 year old nephews are getting mexican strats and some kind of solid state amp from santa. i'd like to build them a pair of boxes that will aurally compensate for their dad's behaviour last weekend when he drank half my bottle of 20 year old macallen!

can you suggest something heavy metalish that will sound decent into a ss amp? i was thinking clarinot for one, how about a mate?

many thanks and merry Christmas!

synthecks

I know my gf isnt fond when I crank my tri-spec muff, but I do it all the time anyways :icon_lol:

Ed G.

Something really tortuous would be a pedal that would recreate the tone on the guitar solo on the Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."
You could hurt people with that tone.
Funny though, that tone had its place in that song.

DUY1337GUITAR

The only thing I can recommend is the Dr. Boogey because it's so harsh and so much gain.  This thing can boost the volume real high, too, I got my parents pissed. 

Check out the DIEFET, too, that thing is also crazy
Check out my guitar build at http://www.youtube.com/user/DUY1337GUITAR

I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong....

newfish

20 year-old Macallen?

Auto de-tune set to random intervals.

Through a Treble Booster.

No matter what they play, it'll sound like a Kitten Pinata...
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

geertjacobs

Give a man a fish and he has food for the day.
Teach a man to fish and he has food for life.

Give them a breadboard and different components to build a bazz fuss.

See how their father reacts when they test each variation with the same riff.

Evil, isn't it  :icon_mrgreen:

trjones1

It may be more effort than it's worth, but for terrible, terrible noise, I'd recommend a Fender Blender.

dschwartz

i think you can make an easy nasty distortion with an ovesaturated opamp with no voicing, maybe just a 741 with no (or very little) feedback. some bias voltage, volume control and dc blocking caps for in and out. add diodes if you don´t want it THAT nasty.

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

erix

Quote from: newfish on December 24, 2009, 04:12:22 AM
20 year-old Macallen?

whoops - 21 year old Macallan, fine oak....

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Bubesz

I'd say, build a Diefet, or if you REALLY want a torture device, build a Random Number Generator
Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r6A6rqI9xo

MoltenVoltage

Run the signal backwards through a wah circuit with the pedal about halfway then through extreme distortion.  Just turn it on, sit back, and listen for the neighborhood dogs to howl.
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

svstee

Fuzz face with major gating or an Uglyface.  :icon_twisted:

MmmPedals

Paul Marossy

The Crash Sync is a crazy noise maker...

arawn

whisker biscuit built with 2n5089's very loud very high gain and very obnoxious. As they run back and forth through the tone controls it will make him crazy.
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

earthtonesaudio

Quackzed

i have to agree with geertjacobs here. all you tweekers know that there is nothing more annoying to the people around you, than hearing you strumming the same 2 note riff randomly for an hour trying to tweak some pedal, unless of course you include vogon poetry...
loud music is one thing- but after listening to random blats for a few hours , youll be driving yourself to the asylum. :icon_twisted:

stompbox diy'ers make the most obnoxious sounds...in "the universe!"*

*vogon poetry excluded.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

WhenBoredomPeaks

Quote from: Quackzed on December 27, 2009, 03:25:47 PM
i have to agree with geertjacobs here. all you tweekers know that there is nothing more annoying to the people around you, than hearing you strumming the same 2 note riff randomly for an hour trying to tweak some pedal, unless of course you include vogon poetry...
loud music is one thing- but after listening to random blats for a few hours , youll be driving yourself to the asylum. :icon_twisted:

Thats true, build a germanium FF for the kids, give them 20 (or any large number) GE transistors and tell them to find the best combination of the transistors in the circuit. That will keep them occupied for a bit of time.

(i am trying clipping diodes in a TS copy, i am frustrated atm ;D)

tranceracer

Quote from: geertjacobs on December 24, 2009, 04:36:56 AM
See how their father reacts when they test each variation with the same riff.
Evil, isn't it 

LOL!   :D