New at runoffgroove.com: Tri-Vibe

Started by B Tremblay, December 24, 2009, 07:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Tremblay

Tri-Vibe is a versatile modulation effect that offers true vibrato.  Check it out: http://runoffgroove.com/tri-vibe.html

Four sound clips are available on the Sounds page: http://runoffgroove.com/salvo.html#tri-vibe

Happy holidays to all!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

frequencycentral

Nice, the LFO curves are particularly interesting. Thanks ROG!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

stm

We've been working on this project for quite a while, mainly fine-tuning the LFO shape for optimum vibrato sound and good noise performance.

Some highlights of this circuit are:
1) No trimming or matching of components
2) Noise reduction and improved dynamic range by means of pre/de-emphasis networks and use of the linearizing diodes included in the LM13600
3) LFO waveform optimized for smooth vibrato
4) Mild phaser and pseudo-leslie sounds also available

A PCB is in the works and will be added soon to the project.

Merry Christmas all!

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

B Tremblay

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 24, 2009, 09:17:22 AM
Put a fixed phase shift stage either side of the OTA stages and it would make a cool phaser too.

That is an option that we tested and would have included if our aim had been to create a phase shifter project.  However, our focus was vibrato and added phase shift stages (fixed and/or swept) did not benefit our target sound.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

petemoore

Very nice !
  Beautiful sweep-tones on this one !

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

drk

morcey2

Will this work with the NJM13600D that small bear carries?  I've got an order to put in there in a couple of days and figured that I'd add a couple of they would.

It sounds really good!

Matt

edit:  So I read ALMOST all the way down to the bottom of the page before I posted this.   :icon_redface:

aziltz

isildur100

Ben N

Sounds are great, and the schematic looks quite buildable. Nice.
  • SUPPORTER

stm

Quote from: morcey2 on December 24, 2009, 10:12:06 AM
Will this work with the NJM13600D that small bear carries?  I've got an order to put in there in a couple of days and figured that I'd add a couple of they would.

It sounds really good!

Matt

edit:  So I read ALMOST all the way down to the bottom of the page before I posted this.   :icon_redface:
During prototyping I used both JRC13600 (from Smallbear) and LM13700 (from a local supplier).  Both worked OK, so I'd say this covers both JRC and National Semiconductor devices, as well as both OTA flavors (with and without variable bias for the output stage).

stm

Quote from: B Tremblay on December 24, 2009, 09:31:20 AM
Quote from: frequencycentral on December 24, 2009, 09:17:22 AM
Put a fixed phase shift stage either side of the OTA stages and it would make a cool phaser too.

That is an option that we tested and would have included if our aim had been to create a phase shifter project.  However, our focus was vibrato and added phase shift stages (fixed and/or swept) did not benefit our target sound.
In order to have smooth vibrato, the requirement is to have even phase variations across the frequency range of interest.  This means, +/- 45º or so within a frequency range from 80 Hz up to 4kHz (for guitar).  The choice of the 15:1 ratio for the capacitors effectively optimizes this requirement.  Using equal capacitors, or adding two or more fixed stages defeats this adjustment, increasing the motion-sickness effect which we tried to avoid like the plague.

jmasciswannabe

....the staircase had one too many steps

spaceace76

awesome design! can't wait for a layout. based on the clips, the fact that it doesn't need special adjusting, and that the speed pot is single gang, i'd call this a univibe killer! Thanks again ROG

John Lyons

PCB coming up.
Sorry for the wait guys.
Having a two years old in your care
makes for slow work...

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

gigimarga

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

StephenGiles

This sounds very nice indeed. On the complexity level though, on a level of 1 to 3 I would put it at 1.5 on the basis of building straight to veroboard. I don't do veroboard layouts, I just build it!. There's too much dumbing down these days!!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

B Tremblay

Quote from: StephenGiles on December 25, 2009, 08:24:16 AM
This sounds very nice indeed. On the complexity level though, on a level of 1 to 3 I would put it at 1.5 on the basis of building straight to veroboard. I don't do veroboard layouts, I just build it!. There's too much dumbing down these days!!!

The complexity level is relative to the other projects presented at runoffgroove.com - obviously veteran builders can ignore such a rating.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com