New DIY Fever site

Started by bancika, December 25, 2009, 12:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

Hi folks,

I was thinking about moving to some of well know publishing systems instead of my own DIY way of making web sites :) It's getting hard to maintain and migrate, I reckon it's much better to spend that time making DIYLC, building something, playing guitar or just doing nothing instead of wrestling with my spaghetti PHP code :)
Anyways, temporary address for the new site is http://diy-fever.com/wordpress I'm still moving content and when it's all there I'll replace the main site with it.
What do you think?

Tnx and merry Christmas

Bane
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

head_spaz

Not working so good on my end.
see screenshot
Table isn't wide enough... and the images seem to be mislinked.
As for the layouts, I think it would be better to just archive the entire library into a zip file, and have people download it to their harddrives for future reference.
But hey... it's your site... do whatever you want.
Thanks for the tremendous service you've provided for the community.

And Merry Christmas to all.

Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

scratch

head_spaz beat me to it ... the info on the layouts page is truncated to the right of the 'Updated' column ...

but whatever makes life easier for you and allows you to spend more time doing the things you WANT to do ... I don't have a problem with that, as most of my time is not my own at the moment.
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

bancika

yeah, I forgot to tell that layouts page is not done yet, it's just copied from the old site.
Since I'll be having an integrated library in new DIYLC I won't need another one online so I was thinking about having a single ZIP file there
Cheers

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

bancika

Tnx mate. The beauty of it is that I didn't have to code anything to make it work and swapping themes is very easy. The only part of my design is a tube pix in the right corner (from my SLO amp) :)

Paul Marossy

Looks good so far. So, did you build the DIY sustainer? I remember when psw was developing that, I was in the middle of that discussion for a little while. There was a lot of trial and error until he got it right.

bancika

yeah, I built it, verified that it works and never really used it after :) I didn't have energy to mess with installing batteries, switching, etc.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: bancika on December 28, 2009, 05:54:37 AM
yeah, I built it, verified that it works and never really used it after :) I didn't have energy to mess with installing batteries, switching, etc.

Cool. Yeah, there's still a lot that has to be done after you get the coil built and stuff. I understand that most guitars have to be routed for the electronics portion of the Sustainiac system. Not sure how psw's version compares in that area...

bancika

no need to route unless there's no space for the battery. Circuit is small and can fit almost anywhere.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: bancika on December 28, 2009, 11:02:33 AM
no need to route unless there's no space for the battery. Circuit is small and can fit almost anywhere.

Well that's an improvement over the commercial version.  :icon_razz:

Kearns892

Not sure if you are aware of this, but I thought Inwould let you know that as of now all the layout links are 404.

Page layout looks nice though, and I'm in the middle of a similar project with my squire strat. Good luck getting the site running.

bancika

yeah, that page is still not functional
cheers

MarcoMike

Hey, I didn't know DIYlayout was yours!! thanks a lot for that!!  ;)

and talking about the sustainer... I was considering building one, just for the fun of it, I think I will never use it (as I play bass). anyway, does the driver need a magnet at all?!? I don't see the point of it, actually it looks quite counterproductive to me...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

bancika

I think it needs a magnet. It's pretty much the same as a speaker just without any moving parts.

Paul Marossy

There used to be a HUGE thread at the www.projectguitar.com forum about psw's DIY sustainer. I don't know if it's still there or not, but it went from conception to a working pickup over the course of time. The ebow was discussed, also. In principle, it's similar to an ebow, but able to drive more strings. Anyway, Pete spent a lot of time figuring out how to make that work.

EDIT: Here's a tutorial on how to make your own sustainer pickup - http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=24211

MarcoMike

I know, I know... I think I read all what's left of that post/tutorial, even on Bancika's website (before knowing it was his)

as he said: it's like a speakear, but without moving parts... so as the magnet in a speaker is there to "react" to the magnetic field generated by the coil and make it move (as the coil is free to do so) .... in the case of a sustainer the field generated by the coil interacts with strings and this time they are the ones free to move... and they do... no need for magnets in my opinion.... but I don't want to go OT any further... I'll try and let you know in case it works (and just pretend I didn't say anything in case it doesn't)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.