Tube preamp for tda3003 ss amp

Started by El Heisenberg, December 26, 2009, 10:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean k

Thankyou Auke, Id just finished oiling it up, after that photo, then spent the last to days putting alloy straps around the edges and hand beating old hotwater cylinder copper to make corner protectors... so now it's all grubby again plus the woods so soft it's getting a few dings here and there but I don't really care... I like this semi precious as opposed to precious so eventual wear and tear adds to the look as opposed to degrading it.

El Heisenberg, maybe you've done all you can and be happy with it as i is, frustration can build up in things. I know, I used to have a guitar shop and people would come in and hand me there guitars and say they were crap and needed a set up real bad... I'd just play them for a while kinda exorcising out the demons of their frustration then give them back to them and they'd be amazed at the difference.

Took me a while to figure that out but since then I've seen it other things people put a lot of effort into... you've got to enjoy your stuff.

I'm not saying this is your problem but I am saying there is a time to leave stuff alone and be happy with it...and go on to something else.

The tube thing is great fun and well worth getting into. Different working relationship, stuffs much bigger in a sense, but they do sound good if you can live with the noise of hum which is often the only bugbear if it appears.

Being into tubes is much easier with access to surplus places with all the transformers, caps and the valves themselves to choose from. I'm just in the process of rebuilding a tube reverb I built years ago which isn't working as well as it could. Got a spare 12SN7 tube anyone?

With my schematic, which should work with a little tweaking here and there, I've used to tubes for voltage amp then put them into a fet as a source follower to drive the tone control. This helps to get the stuff you need to properly drive the amp input... I hope. Your amp may just get a bit better by adding a fet, as a source follower just after the first fet, to drive the tone stack.

As for the second fet biasing at a supposedly silly voltage...if it works!
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

El Heisenberg

"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."