Script Phase 90 problem...

Started by stumper1, December 28, 2009, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper1

I picked up a non-working Script Phase 90 (not a re-issue) a while ago.  It's been sitting on my desk at work for a year or so.  2 months ago there was a fire in the building.  The building - and my business - were entirely destroyed.  Thank god for insurance! 8)  Anyways..

I just found this thing in the pile of stuff I salvaged from my office that has been sitting in my garage.  It had a non-original switch that was funky so I replaced that, re-wired the input/output jacks and replaced the battery snap.  It seems to work (sort of) but it doesn't "phase".  The LFO is not working.  When turning the trim pot I hear phasing which makes me think everything else is OK?? 

Voltages on the LFO chip..
1 - .003
2 - 4.75
3 - 5.03
4 - 0
5 - .001
6 - 4.8
7 - 9.25
8 - .003

I have a working block logo Phase 90 with these voltages..
1 - .001
2 - moves from about 4 to 6
3 - moves from about 4 to 6
4 - 0
5 - .001
6 - moves from about 1 to 9
7 - 9.25
8 - .001

I would normally just pull all the parts in the LFO and replace them but I'd like to leave as much original as possible. The LFO chip is different than the rest but it does not look like it's been changed. 

Suggestions on where to start?
Deric®

PRR

Check rate pot continuity. (Jumper the pot: if that makes it run real fast, the pot is shot.)

Replace the 10uFd (maybe 15u) cap.
  • SUPPORTER

stumper1

PRR,  Thanks for the input.  Pot checks out fine.  Just jumpered it to be sure - still no change.

It is a 15u cap.  How important is that value?  I have 10u handy.
Deric®

frequencycentral

It'll still run with a 10uF, just won't go as slow, but will go faster.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

stumper1

Thanks Rick.

Swapped the cap...no change.
Deric®

stumper1

I swapped the cap with no change.  Instead of pulling the IC I paralleled one over the top of the stock one.  Voltages were goofy but they were moving.  Swapped the chip and all is good.  Put the old cap in and it's bad too.  Need to order a 15u when I get a chance.

Thanks for the help!!!
Deric®