Velcro on Pedals/Pedalboards

Started by T1bbles, December 29, 2009, 07:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T1bbles

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a velcro covered pedalboard as my setup was getting too big to set-up and dismantle every time I wanted to use it. I'm just having a little problem with sticking my pedals down; the self-adhesive velcro won't stick to the underside of my pedals!

I've tried super-glueing the velcro to my pedals, and they sit on the board fine, but if I try to take the pedals off of the board the velcro is so strong that the super glue breaks and the velcro strips remain on the board and peel off of the pedal!

Any ideas on how I can get the velcro to stay on my pedals?

Behringer don't do signatures, but if they did, they'd probably stop working mid sen

svstee

3M spray adhesive. If that fails, JB Weld. It might help if you use something like Acetone to clean the bottom of your pedals before you put the velcro on. Worker for me.

jkokura

Are you leaving the rubber on the pedals and trying to fasten the velcro to that? How clean is the surface of the bottom of the pedal when you try and apply the velcro?

First I remove the bottom of the pedal from the rest of the enclosure if I can. then I take the rubber off, then clean off any adhesive left on the bottom from the rubber. I use steel wool and sandpaper to do that, then I clean the bottom with acetone/rubbing alcohol, then rinse with a wet paper towel. let it dry or dry it with more paper towel. Then make sure the velcro is the right size, peel of the backing AS you apply it to the pedal (like you would a bandaid).

That's how I do it. Works %95 of the time, every time.

Jacob

nosamiam

This is a struggle for me too. I've gotten really good adhesion to the bottom of a pedal, only to have the paint on the bottom of the pedal come off with the velcro! I also snagged some really, REALLY strong velcro from work and the stuff is so badass. Unfortunately, it is pulling the surface off of my pedalboard. This stuff is STRONG! I don't know the brand.

liquids

Quote from: svstee on December 29, 2009, 07:39:08 PM
3M spray adhesive. If that fails, JB Weld. It might help if you use something like Acetone to clean the bottom of your pedals before you put the velcro on. Worker for me.

Nothing has worked for me.  The hard part is not only getting the adhesive to stick to the pedal so much as it is getting the adhesive to truly bond to the fabric.     I suspect not all 'velcro' fabrics are created equal....plus, there is the stuff with adhesive on it, and the stuff without it....arg.

The spray adhesives worked for a few weeks/months/pulls for me.  But otherwise just created a goo....

I tried a quick epoxy, which wasn't too great and is permanent.  a long dry (1+ hour) epoxy may work if you have the time and you can keep the velcro firmly in place (mine usually curls)...

I recently started using my glue gun.  Finding it too is not foolproof...seems to stick a little better than the spray adhesive, but it's a lot easier to remove it and reapply it if nothing else...so I'm using that for now.

I'd be happy to go for JB weld if that works, permanently, but my impression is it is 'simply' a steel impregnated epoxy...

In the end, I understand the guys who are using zip ties and bike chain rings and screwing it down!  Can't believe someone hasn't created a foolproof solution for pedal boards...

Maybe that 'modge podge' crap designed for fabric and found in craft stores would be any help...   

I really get frustrated about this topic and all the pedals I have with velcro jobs I spent lots of time on, only to have them pull off.   :(
Breadboard it!

MikeH

I use the "Industrial strength" velcro.  As long as you're sticking it to something clean, it never comes off, and the velcro itself bonds so strongly you damn near need a crow bar to get it apart.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Morocotopo

Guys, I think the secret is not so much how strong the velcro bonds to the pedal bottom/pedalboard surface/paint/whatever, but how you separate the pedal from the board. If you use super strong velcro (Did someone said it rips off paint?? That´s strong!), if you tug on the pedal to separate it, you´ll eventually separate the velcro from where it´s attached, no matter what method of attachment used. What´s best is to slide a credit card or something like that,  gradually between the pedal´s velcro and the board´s velcro to break apart the grip, rather than trying to separate them by sheer force. Worked for me! Also, a novel way of using your credit card without draining your bank account.
Morocotopo

Philippe

I stopped using velcro a while back. Primary reason(s): I dont' trust its long-term adhesion qualities (the sticky backing part) as it doesn't adhere that good with certain pedalboard materials; getting that residual goop off the pedal bottom plate can be a pain in the ass; & it isn't too practical if you happen to have those little rubber pads on the corners of the pedal as the bottom plate is now slightly raised while the velcro is seldom of matching thickness.

My solution...I use 1-1/2" screws (the length will vary depending on the thickness of your pedalboard) that correspond to the corner screw holes of the effect & bolt them in from the bottom of the pedalboard, setting aside the 'stock' screws in the event I opt to use the effect as a single or isolated unit; the longer bolts make for a very sturdy mount & to compensate for the slight 'raise' if there are rubber pads, I pop a couple of phenolic spacers on the screws (between the bottom plate of the effect & pedalboard) although this is strictly cosmetic. Incidentally, this approach requires some drilling of the pedalboard...mine is made of wood.

Last note...rubber reacts badly (tends to stick) with laquer so if you opt for a lacquered finish on a wood pedalboard surface, you might consider removing or not using those rubber feet. I kept them on & experienced some 'pulling' of the wood fibers when I had to unbolt & remove the pedals for battery replacement.

MikeH

Some of my friends came up with a pretty solid system.  They go to the local harware and find the same thread screws as the bottom plates for their pedals, only a half inch or so longer.  Then they take 2 screws out of the bottom of each pedal, line-up and drill holes through their pedal boards, and mount the pedals using extra long screws.  A lot of work, but pretty much fool-proof, as long as you don't need to get into the bottom of a pedal.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

petemoore

...Ugley >?
  Coathanger covered in plastic tube [add paint as you see fit].
  I can fasten any size pedal within a minute or so, free for the price of the 2 screws, easy 1-screw pedal removals.
  Just take a longer stretch of the wire than you need, grab one end [at least a couple inches in from the one end<] with needlenose pliers [heavy duty ones] toward the tip where the jaw width matches the screw size [this makes the screw-tab], lay it over the pedal, mark the sides and bend them over, bend the tabs up so the screws go through.
  Real quick, sure-fire, easy to undo, no marks or other stuff added to the pedal.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

liquids

Any tips on using that JB Weld in this regard?   Smallbear has JB Kwik, and I'm thinking of giving it a go.  It says it works on fabric...I'm cynical, but a glutton for punishment.   :D
Breadboard it!

arma61

hi

this is the way I use to fix pedals on my pedalboard, also +1 on credit card to remove them

Cheers
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

svstee

Quote from: liquids on January 04, 2010, 01:30:02 PM

Any tips on using that JB Weld in this regard?   Smallbear has JB Kwik, and I'm thinking of giving it a go.  It says it works on fabric...I'm cynical, but a glutton for punishment.   :D

I have found JB Weld, the stuff that takes 24 hours to dry, works better than JB Kwik. Just make sure BOTH surfaces are clean, have some pressure applied and do NOT touch it for 24 hours. Impatience has been my downfall in the past...

T1bbles

I have to say, the JB Weld is where I'll probably end up, but for now the whole credit-card removal thing is absolutely brilliant! I haven't ripped a single bit of velcro since I heard about it! ;D
Behringer don't do signatures, but if they did, they'd probably stop working mid sen

Morocotopo

T1bbles, glad it worked for you, now you can send me the royalties. No consecutive numbered bills, please.

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

I just though of another option to fasten pedals: make, from 2 mm. aluminum, a plate the same shape of the bottom of the pedal, with holes for the screws, but with extra "wings" in the sides. On those wings add four holes for wood screws, use that instead of the original pedal back, and then just screw it to the board. Simple, secure.

Royalties on this one are more expensive.
Morocotopo

bipedal

Am always interested in different solutions to this issue -- not a velcro fan myself.  (Lately I've been using long zip-ties around pedals and through pre-drilled holes in the pedal board.)

Quote from: petemoore on January 04, 2010, 12:20:33 PM
  Coathanger covered in plastic tube [add paint as you see fit].
  I can fasten any size pedal within a minute or so, free for the price of the 2 screws, easy 1-screw pedal removals.
  Just take a longer stretch of the wire than you need, grab one end [at least a couple inches in from the one end<] with needlenose pliers [heavy duty ones] toward the tip where the jaw width matches the screw size [this makes the screw-tab], lay it over the pedal, mark the sides and bend them over, bend the tabs up so the screws go through.

Sounds interesting, but I can't quite visualize this, especially the screw-to-coathanger-tab joint.  Have a pic or sketch you can share?
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

modsquad

Somebody posted somewhere about using the "figure eight" shaped pieces that connect bicycle chain lings together.  You screw a couple on the box with the corner screws and screw the open ends to the board.  Doesn't mar or damage the pedal and stays in place..."Voila"
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"