Black pcb in uk?

Started by markeebee, December 30, 2009, 09:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeebee

Anybody know a source in the uk for copper clad board with black substrate?

Looks mean!

nosamiam

Or in the U.S. for that matter? I'd like to see it!

danielzink

Got it off eBay quite a while ago - luckily I bought enough to last for a while.....

Also bought red and blue:

Dan

Skruffyhound

Any chance of a link Danielzink, was it a one off or a seller?
Are you using UV, is the board UV sensitive or you are doing the whole bit yourself?
The board is FR4 right?
How are you tinning? Spill the beans :icon_biggrin:, those are some lovely etches.
My etches are successful but not as satisfyingly clean as I would like and I've just started tinning because I think they are difficult to solder to, primarily because there isn't a thick enough trace to conduct the heat efficiently. I can see what I can almost describe as a "step" from board to trace on the last pic, very chunky! How thick is your copper clad?
Very impressive.
Aston

Joe Hart

Cool. And I've never seen resistors like that! And is that an IC in a round can? I've seen those, at least. Where did you get them? They make the circuit look exotic.
-Joe Hart

markeebee

"There's a new dance that is going around,
called the BUMP, do the BUMP...."

Can anybody help?

Skruffyhound

Ah! Got excited thinking I was going to get some answers!
Fair enough though. I'm down to contemplating spray painting the back of my perf.

glops

I have thought several times this week about painting my perf black!

Taylor

I've got a bunch of blue copper clad from an ebay seller named "ABCfab". He has all kinds of other clad in different sizes and colors, but it seems his stock comes and goes. If what you're looking for isn't up at the moment, send him a message, in my case he was willing to find some for me.

danielzink

Quote from: SkruffyhoundAh! Got excited thinking I was going to get some answers!
Fair enough though. I'm down to contemplating spray painting the back of my perf.

ahhhh...come on now....sorry - I got busy - other threads pack on - then I forgot about it......jeez..... ;D

Quote from: Skruffyhound on December 30, 2009, 06:32:07 PM
Any chance of a link Danielzink, was it a one off or a seller?
Are you using UV, is the board UV sensitive or you are doing the whole bit yourself?
The board is FR4 right?
How are you tinning? Spill the beans :icon_biggrin:, those are some lovely etches.
My etches are successful but not as satisfyingly clean as I would like and I've just started tinning because I think they are difficult to solder to, primarily because there isn't a thick enough trace to conduct the heat efficiently. I can see what I can almost describe as a "step" from board to trace on the last pic, very chunky! How thick is your copper clad?
Very impressive.
Aston

Ebay - abcfab also - if I remember correctly.

black and red boards are FR4 blue board is CEM (the CEM is not near as robust as the FR4 - I've had some traces lift after one desoldering on the CEM)

The red and black board are 1oz and the blue is 2oz.

I use the MG Chemicals tinning solution.

Also - I'm doing "positive" photoresist with sheets purchased from eBay as well.

Quote from: Joe Hart

Cool. And I've never seen resistors like that! 

Dale resistors - nothin' special - I like them because they have the value printed on the side of them and I'm lazy and never bothered to learn the color bands  :icon_biggrin:

Dan

davent

Quote from: Skruffyhound on January 17, 2010, 05:14:52 PM
Ah! Got excited thinking I was going to get some answers!

Be careful about the paint you choose. I painted some boards with a black high temperature paint sold for redoing BBQ's and i could get a resistance reading across the paint with my DMM so had to remove it, not a big deal to remove but be aware. I've also used acrylic paints and lacquer and they were fine, no readings with the meter and the circuits worked as they were suppose to.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Taylor

Daniel, it looks like your blue board is a thin blue layer on grey CEM, is that right? The blue stuff I have is solid blue all through. Must be a different material.

I also leave my flux on, but with what looks like a lot of thought put into the aesthetics of your boards, I would figure you'd remove it. Not something you care about?

mikemaddux

pm me for the black PCB hookup!
Completed Builds: A lot...

markeebee

Skruffyhound

Thanks Dan ;D
I'm sorted out now!