How to learn basic assembly lanuage

Started by loss1234, December 30, 2009, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loss1234

If i want to start using something like the FV-1 or other chips (maybe a pic at some point) is there a good, basic book on learning assembly language that would be general enough
to get me started on trying some stuff out?

i have seen some books on programming assembly language for microcomputers but is the FV-1 considered a microcomputer?

thanks and sorry if this is OT

ExpAnonColin

Assembly languages vary per architecture, compilter, etc.  But I learned asm for the avr here:
http://avr-asm-tutorial.net/avr_en/beginner/index.html
which is a good intro in general, though sometimes the english can be a little confusing!

-Colin

Taylor

I am a total noob to programming, and I was making usable effects with the FV-1 in a couple of days. Learning is good, and some books on generalized DSP concepts would be great, but if you want to work with the FV-1 and you have no experience with digital stuff at all (this was me a month ago), here's what you should do.

Get the development board, read all of the stuff here and just dive in. Start with modifying the examples, then combine a few building blocks until you hit a problem. Then try to figure out how to fix the problem, and if you can't figure it out easily, ask on the FV-1 forum. I find that in most things in life, this "try it and fix what was wrong" approach helps me learn things fastest. This applies only to those intellectual pursuits wherein death or serious injury is not a usual consequence.

It really is easier than I expected, and I'm learning how to do things much faster with the FV-1 than I have with analog electronics. The FV-1 has its own language, by the way, so you won't be able to use code for AVRs, etc. and plug it directly into the FV-1.