How do you mount a 3PDT?

Started by skrapasor, December 30, 2009, 11:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrapasor

There are two nuts, a plastic washer and a lock washer. What order do they go in and which side of the enclosure?

Joe Hart

Starting from the "lug end," I use a nut to set the height of the switch, then the lock washer, then put it through the enclosure's hole, then the plastic washer, and then another nut. Some people omit the plastic washer or use a chrome one that you buy separately. Hope this helps.
-Joe Hart

skrapasor

MikeH

Also, if your enclosure is really shallow, you can omit the bottom nut for a little more clearance,
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Scruffie

Quote from: MikeH on December 30, 2009, 01:15:17 PM
Also, if your enclosure is really shallow, you can omit the bottom nut for a little more clearance,
I'd stick away from that after I tightened a switch till it split in half... then again that was my fault I suppose.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Scruffie on December 30, 2009, 01:17:56 PM
I'd stick away from that after I tightened a switch till it split in half... then again that was my fault I suppose.

You were definitely overtightening the nut!  :icon_lol:

MikeH

Quote from: Scruffie on December 30, 2009, 01:17:56 PM

Yeah, I had this happen to me once as well.  Definitely dont want to over tighten the nut.

Scruffie

Well it was my first build, but i've feared leaving that 2nd nut off ever since...  but i'm sure it can be done carefully  :icon_redface:

petemoore

Start with a perfect sized hole [champhored is nice] in a flat substrate of solid material [metal is ok].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bumblebee

I throw the white washers away, they make otherwise nicely made pedals look like sh*t IMO! Then just use the bottom nut to adjust height, then tighten the top one.
ZVex uses nice metal washers in place of the plastic ones,smallbear sell these now.

Nitefly182

Quote from: bumblebee on December 30, 2009, 05:03:32 PM
I throw the white washers away, they make otherwise nicely made pedals look like sh*t IMO! Then just use the bottom nut to adjust height, then tighten the top one.
ZVex uses nice metal washers in place of the plastic ones,smallbear sell these now.

Same. The white washer is hideous. I use the ones smallbear sells to protect the paint but if you use powdercoated boxes you dont really even need them.

Processaurus

I've been using a .469" drill bit and they fit a lot more solidly than in a 1/2" hole.  The lockwasher is good, I try to honk em down pretty tight so they'll never get loose.

It would be nice if they made an indexed washer with little tab for 3pdt's like they do for toggle switches, but have never seen that, though some companies have a custom punch for the holes that leaves a little tab sticking into the slotted channel on the threads.

MikeH

Quote from: Processaurus on December 31, 2009, 08:01:13 AM
I've been using a .469" drill bit and they fit a lot more solidly than in a 1/2" hole.  The lockwasher is good, I try to honk em down pretty tight so they'll never get loose.

Yeah- it's a 15/32" which is the perfect size for our typical 3pdts

jacobyjd

lol...all the hate on the nylon washer...I leave 'em on, since they tend to keep the whole shebang from coming loose after a few years. The looks don't bother me :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

jayp5150

I use the nylon washer as a spacer for my DC jacks so they don't stick so far out of the enclosure.

I have to split them to make them fit over the threads, but it works wonderfully.

trixdropd

Quote from: jayp5150 on January 04, 2010, 03:15:42 PM
I use the nylon washer as a spacer for my DC jacks so they don't stick so far out of the enclosure.

I have to split them to make them fit over the threads, but it works wonderfully.
I do the same thing with the external nut dc jacks from effects connection... great minds think alike!!

mikemaddux

The white washer looks awesome!!!!!
Completed Builds: A lot...