Suggestions for a boss ds-1 mod?

Started by jolly1423, January 02, 2010, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jolly1423

I'm thinking about doing the keeley mod but there seems to be a few diff. mods out there. Anyone have any good resources or a fav. one? this is the one I'm looking at working off of. http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify_Your_Boss_DS_1/
I'm looking to get more mid and bass sound out of it and I'd like to be able to get more variety if possible but I don't want to over mod it either.

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

boogietube

I think that is some amazing work. Kodos to the author.
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.

Talon5051

+1 on the work that 5thumbs did putting the document together.  I did the Huevos Grandes mod and it sounds great.

runmikeyrun

I forget off hand which resistor controls the amount of available gain but i changed mine so i could get a ton of gain out of it and it sounds like an amp about to explode  ;D
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

jolly1423

jolly1423

I'm trying to track down all the parts to do the H.G. mod but I'm having trouble finding all of the capacitors from the same place. I'd rather not have to pay shipping from 5 diff. places. for example most places don't seem to carry the 250pf. ceramic or the .056u. metal film. Can anyone recommend a supplier?

dedguy

Try some of the big boys like Digikey or Mouser. They both have alot.  I got all the parts for the Keeley DS-1 Mod from Digikey. The digikey catalog has 2707 pages. That's alot of stuff.

realizewhoitis

jolly1423

So I'm most of the way through the Huevos Grandes Mod http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf I've done all the steps one at a time testing between each one. I've done them all but number 10 and number 15. I haven't tried 15 yet but 10 didn't work. When i put in the 220Ω resistor it doesn't work but if I switch back to the stock part it's fine. I ordered this part from mouser for the replacement http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay/SFR16S0002203FR500/?qs=7DG%2fna1Fp6uo8eMVYvF8Fg%3d%3d Is this the right part or did I order a wrong value or something. I'm still pretty new at this and don't always know what works with what all the time.

rosssurf

If i am reading the orriginal schematic correctly R9 was orriginally 22 ohms, and the mod calls for 220 ohms. looking at your link to the mouser part. I do believe you have the correct resistor. Have you tested  the 220 resistor with a multimeter? did you socket that resistor?

boogietube

boogietube

jolly1423

QuoteHave you tested  the 220 resistor with a multimeter? did you socket that resistor?
No to both. I've just been soldering them back and forth. I'll try testing it with the multimeter tonight.

jolly1423

The resistor tests at .218 with the multimeter set at 2m ohms. That's right isn't it? This is only my second project but the physical size of this resistor is a lot smaller than any I've used so far. Does that mean any thing or does that just have to do with this particular value resistor?

jolly1423

If I wanted to try another resistor I was going to try Radio Shack but they only have carbon film resistors. Is there going to be any difference from the metal film?

rosssurf

I am not sure that 2m is the right setting. My tester when in ohm modes says 200,2000,20k,200k,2000k respectivly. I have no "M's" on mine. That resistor goes to ground from the tranny so It is not in the signal chain, so if my limited knowlege is correct it compositional makeup is irrelevant so carbon is just fine.

To find out more about the "The resistor tests at .218 with the multimeter set at 2m ohms. That's right isn't it?" thing. what reading do you get with a known 1k resistor?, or better yet a 2.2K or 22K resistor on the 2m setting? Then, simlply moving the decimal point should tell you if you have the right one. What are the color bands on the resistor? maybe this can help http://www.samengstrom.com/nxl/3660/4_band_resistor_color_code_page.en.html

jolly1423

I know this post is kinda old but...
I got the mod working and I really like the tone but I'd like it to a little louder. If I up the volume pot from the 100k to a 250k will that do the job for me? I'm still pretty new at this so I don't just have all the spare parts laying around (yet  ;))  or I would just test it out but I'm pretty tight on cash right now too so I don't want to pay for shipping if it's not going to work. So I thought I'd just check to see if you can tell me if I'm on the right track with that.

Also on that note, Anyone have any suggestions for a parts supplier that has pretty low shipping when I only need like one or two little parts? I really like mouser, pedal parts plus, and small bear but the $4-6 shipping is a little brutal on a $2.00 part. Maybe I just have to deal...

Thanks

jacobyjd

This weekend I was trying out different possibilities for a lead tone on a particular song my band is writing--I ended up running the stock DS-1 at low-med gain into a Sansamp GT2 on the tweed channel set to 'clean'. All that into the clean channel of my Crate 30-watt.

It was amazing.

That to say--you may want to experiment with post-EQ on your DS-1--that's basically what my sansamp was doing.

Try running a graphic EQ after it to see how you can shape the distortion. From there, you can put together a tailor-made mod for yours.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net