Tremulus Aux LFO question

Started by mph, January 06, 2010, 08:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mph

Hello

I am going to build the tremulus lune, I would like to have the Aux LFO like on this document:
http://commonsound.org/tremulus/auxlfo_add_big.pdf

If I understand it correctly, the Aux is merged to the Main LFO to create a more complex waveform... and here it doesn't need a second optocoupler.

But I also want this Aux LFO to modulate the speed of the main LFO... I think it is this document:
http://commonsound.org/tremulus/auxlfo_modulate.pdf
which uses a second optocoupler...

Should I build a 3 LFO version, or is it possible to only build the Aux LFO with the optocoupler, and switch it to modulate the speed or to be merged to the Main LFO?
Anyway I think I could use it like that, in "speed" mode I would have only the Main LFO to do the tremulation with the Aux to modulate the speed; and in "merge" mode I won't have any speed modulation possible.

Also I will use the silonex NSL 19M51 photoresistor (I have a large stock of them so I hope to be able to use them in the tremulus)... Do you think they will work?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Slade

The modulate LFO will always change your speed, unless you use a large Depth por value for this. I've done this with mine. I used 2 speed pots to be switched with a stompswitch and added the modulate LFO. If you have doubts about the functioning of this things you can see a video of mine here.

Regards,

Fernando.-

mph

Fernando
thanks for the video!
That's exactly what I am looking for, I really like the speed modulation of the main LFO, that's a real VCLFO.

How do wire this Aux LFO to its on/off switch?  Is it only V+ switched on or off on the daughterboard?

What value did you use for the Depth pot? (we're talking about the Aux LFO Depth right?)

So if I understand, the "Aux to modulate" LFO is not tailored to be switched in a "Aux add"...
I will probably have to build the big board with the Aux add + the "Aux to modulate" daughterboard... because I would also like to be able to merge two LFOs.

thanks!

Slade

The Modulate LFO connects with the tremulus LFO through the LDR, so I made it switcheable with a 3PDT by cutting both sides of this LDR with the stomp, the third pole is for the led. I used a 2.5k depth pot. Also is important the color of the led you use for the LED/LDR device (if you don't use a vtl..), I used a orange led to have a really high speed at maximum depth.

mph

Thanks Frenando!
your tips will be very useful!

About the LED in the optocoupler, is the speed faster when the light of the LED is more on the "red" side of the light spectrum, opposed to the "blue"? Did you try other colors?

Slade

You're welcome,
I tried green, red and orange, I think... And the orange was the faster, but that made me change the depth pot to have a better range to the value I said before. It also depends on the LDR you use, so jus give it a try and see what happens with yours ;)