Transistor boost for bazz fuss, bass fuzz pedal?

Started by rosscocean, January 06, 2010, 04:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosscocean

I've made a Bazz Fuss with a few tweaks. I got the original layout here-
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album18/album144/BAZZ_FUSS.jpg.html

I've added a tone stack from here-
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/BigMuffToneControl/

I also added a voltage sag.

The pedal sounds pretty amazing but its only about as loud as the clean signal. I've tried making a few boosters (including the beginner boost on here) on my breadboard but just keep getting nothing unless I play really hard, then I get a quiet distorted signal.

If anyone has any ideas on what i'm doing wrong or a good simple booster that'd do the trick, that would be brill!

Cheers Ross

bumblebee

Add the last transistor stage of a big muff to the end of it, its a recovery stage that boosts the volume that the passive big muff tonestack sucks out of some pedals.

nbabmf

Ooh... please post some clips so we can hear the character of this circuit.

rosscocean

Would the same section work at the front of the circuit? I will add some clips when it's finished. Maybe even a YouTube video. Cheers Ross

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

rosscocean

Quote from: B Tremblay on January 06, 2010, 08:37:18 PM
Congratulations!  You just designed the Whisker Biscuit: http://www.home-wrecker.com/whisker.html
;)

Mine's just using a single transistor at the minute but yeah it's similar, being based on the Bazz Fuss. Cheers for the link.

Ben N

I went about half-way there by boosting the input of my darlington bazz fuss. I didn't have a volume problem, probably because of that darlington and the lack of a tone stack, so I didn't other with the recovery stage, but the boost on the input got rid of the gatiness and instead produced that nice long sustain.  Great mod.
  • SUPPORTER

rosscocean

Quote from: Ben N on January 07, 2010, 08:49:35 AM
I went about half-way there by boosting the input of my darlington bazz fuss. I didn't have a volume problem, probably because of that darlington and the lack of a tone stack, so I didn't other with the recovery stage, but the boost on the input got rid of the gatiness and instead produced that nice long sustain.  Great mod.
[/quote
What boost stage did you put before it? Did you try a single transistor as well a the Darlington? If so how different did it sound?

Cheers Ross

Ben N

I used Gus's NPN Boost, but I suppose the BMP input stage would work as well or better.
  • SUPPORTER

rosscocean

Ok I worked out why the boosts id tried boardboarding were sounding f**ked. Id out the pinout wrong!

I've since put an LPB1 after the big muff tone stack and there's still not enough output. When I short from the output of the volume pot to the output (missing out the tone stack) its fine but I'd like to keep the tone in there.

I also tried the boost before the pedal on a breadbord (guitar > boost > my fuzz) and it didn't seem to make much, if any difference.

If anyone can help itd be brilliant.

Many thanks Ross