Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Booster. Quick Question.

Started by timbit2006, January 09, 2010, 03:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbit2006

I have ordered all of these parts for the Electro-Harmonix LPB-1, and I looked at the schematic found here: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/HIW/hiw1.gif and I can see nowher where there is Negative Voltage symbols.

This is my first pedal, but I have ordered the Tweak-O kit from SmallBear.

Help would be greatly appreciated,
     timbit
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" -- George Patton

.Mike

Hi Timbit,

The little symbols along the bottom of the schematic represent ground. They would all be connected to the negative terminal of your battery.

If you are building that circuit and plan on boxing it up like a standard pedal, you might want to check out some wiring diagrams on how that is done, like this image from Beavisaudio.com, this page from Tonepad, or this page from GGG.

:)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

timbit2006

Thanks a ton, Mike!

I pretty much read everything on Beavisaudio.com, and still didn't find that info. At least I got tons of information about other stuff.

One other thing, I am also partially built/planning an Aa/Ab/C switcher, but couldn't get the Op-amp buffer at the Local store here, but now since I'm ordering online, I can finally finish it!

timbit
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" -- George Patton

mmaatt25

Hi,

The "Negative voltage" is ground (V made of horizontal lines) connect these all to the negative terminal of your 9v battery.

Hope this helps!

Matt

timbit2006

Quote from: mmaatt25 on January 09, 2010, 04:19:10 AM
Hi,

The "Negative voltage" is ground (V made of horizontal lines) connect these all to the negative terminal of your 9v battery.

Hope this helps!

Matt

It did help.
You were beat to it though  ::)

I know the basics of this stuff, just lacking some of it. I have been doing recreational studies on this from time to time for over 2 years now.

Personally, I make guitars, but I want to get into the art of Pedal Building.

timbit

glops

When I first started I read and reread everything on the Beavis site and come to this forum daily.  There's a wealth of info!  The DIY stomp wiki is really great, too, if you're just starting.

If you having no prior knowledge in building circuits, I would suggest building something like a breadboard prototyping setup to build a circuit from a schematic to a breadboard.  Buy Beavis Board or make your own.  All you really need is a battery, switch, jacks, breadboard, wire, parts... The Beavis site has lots of tutorials of circuits built on a breadboard from schematic.

I built my first circuit, the Dirty Sanchez this way and was overjoyed when I got it to work.  Learning curve 1 done.  Then I moved that to perfboard and after two tries it worked.  Learning curve 2 done.  Those two steps helped me learn a lot which gave my the confidence to keep going.  Then I built an Ugly Face!

It was daunting at first, but now it's just really lots of fun.  I received the book, Handmade Electronic Music, for Christmas and build a tremolo from that in no time at all.  Great book if you are wanting to get into chips!

Here's a link that I refer to when I'm boxing up a circuit.  Helped me immensely.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_ig_battery.gif

Good Luck!

PRR

Sadly it does not tell you what "ground" is. (What Mike said.)

You supposed to know this. Which makes it hard for beginners.

BTW: all "heat" is included in the ground current. I have no idea what "suckage" is here. The current out of the +9V MUST equal the current into the ground's battery lead. That's why we only have to switch one battery lead to kill all drain on the battery.
  • SUPPORTER

IvIark

Here's an easy turret layout for the LPB1.  I know you've ordered a kit but it may be useful to you as you can see clearly where everything is going.

timbit2006

Necro Bump!

Sorry I didn't get back for such a long time.
I haven't ordered the fuzz kit from Smallbear, due to shipping costs making me sad...

I am now switching over to using Antique Electronics Supply(tubesandmore.com) now, after I got a surprise catalogue, which I didn't know I signed up for.  :icon_smile:

Thanks IvIvark! I will order the parts right away, well not really, but you get the point...

timbit2006

Are there any possibe substitutes to the 2N5088?
I'm trying to keep my order all at one place, so That could present a problem...

compuwade

The only part that I could find at tubesandmore.com that will work is the mps6531. However, the gain is lower than the 2n5088. It'll still sound pretty much the same. You can use any npn transistor for the booster and it will work. Just make sure you have the pinouts right. When looking at the flat side of the transistor, it needs to be EBC.

IvIark

In a similar sort of gain range, try:

BC108C
BC109C
BC547
BC548
BC549
MPSA18

but even if you can't find any E B C (or C B E turned round) you could use anything really and just bend a couple of the pins over with a bit of stripped wire cover as insulation.

aryasridhar

Quote from: IvIark on January 10, 2010, 07:43:55 AM
Here's an easy turret layout for the LPB1.  I know you've ordered a kit but it may be useful to you as you can see clearly where everything is going.

I am also building an LPB-1 follwing the schematic in the link here http://diy-layout.com/25

However the only exception in parts is the transistor, i could not find the 5088 hence got the 2N3904 and some 2N2222's
Can i follow the same schematic as in the turret diagram? will it work with the parts etc?

Please advice. i want to see if it works, i have been unsuccessful in building this pedal on a breadboard, but i am sure i may have messed up for sure.....please help me out.....

zambo

I just built 3 or 4 from the beavis audio schematic and they all worked great. just make sure you get the pin out right for the transistor. really easy build. I dont use vero so i cant verify the vero layout. its easy to build on perf board though. I used 2n3904 btw.
I wonder what happens if I .......