Possible Maestro Wah pot substitute

Started by Solidhex, January 11, 2010, 09:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solidhex

Saw this at Small Bear. Its the wah pot used in the 105q Bass Crybaby. Http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=936  I know the Maestro wah pot is 25K. This one is a 20K so it might be a decent sub. Possibly linear taper since that circuit isn't your usual inductor based wah...

--Brad

Paul Marossy

A 20K pot should be fine. I've heard some peope say that 100K also works OK.

skiraly017

Ernie Ball makes a 25k replacement pot for one of their volume pedals that works fine and I've used most of the wah pots from Small Bear in my Boomerang with no issues.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Chugs

I just made a Maestro boomerang and it works fine and dandy except that at the top of the sweep I get a crackling type sound. I have tried a 25K linear pot and a 100k Hotpotz with a 33k resistor soldered across it but I still get the crackling at the top of the sweep. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Solidhex

Check the two 1uf caps. You might be getting some DC across the wah pot.

--Brad

Chugs

I was using a couple of 1uf film caps and I swapped them for a couple of 1uf electro's but the crackle is still there.  :-\

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Chugs on January 12, 2010, 04:30:53 AM
I just made a Maestro boomerang and it works fine and dandy except that at the top of the sweep I get a crackling type sound. I have tried a 25K linear pot and a 100k Hotpotz with a 33k resistor soldered across it but I still get the crackling at the top of the sweep. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Weird, I don't know why you would be getting that crackle, that never happened to me. How did you build your Boomerang, did you use perfboard or a PCB? Maybe you did something that is making DC apppear on the pot somehow.

BTW, I also have an original Boomerang that looks like it had a replacement 50K pot installed in it. It sounds just as good as the one with a 25K pot in it, to my ears.

Chugs

Perfboard. I've checked it against the schematic but I am going to triple check it again today. I also read your page on your Boomerang build. It was very helpful as I found out about the 620k resistor being an 820k resistor.

It is a shame about the crackle as the wah itself sounds really good!

Paul Marossy

When I can't figure something out, I'll put it aside for a few days. When I come back to it later, my mistake will often slap me upside the head. Sometimes when I am constantly looking at something, I can keep passing right over my error. If I don't look at it for a while, it becomes readily apparent.