News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Fat Boost

Started by brianq, January 13, 2010, 01:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianq

Can anybody recommend a fat boost project that has lots of range ?

MmmPedals

Hmmm. how about a FAT BOOST  :icon_idea:
Its a great booster. The fames mosfet booster also is great. you could get what you want by switching caps.
What do you want a large range of? tone? gain?

petemoore

This type of range, boosted, may be asking a lot of an amplifier.
  That said, a full range boost with a pot/capacitor treble control.
  However, a boost that is voiced/chosen for it's ability to enhance a certain type of amplifier/speaker tone is what I'd recommend.
  The varieties of boost are generally easier to try or change than the amp/speaker.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sinner

Quote from: MmmPedals on January 13, 2010, 09:17:21 PM
Hmmm. how about a FAT BOOST  :icon_idea:
Its a great booster. The fames mosfet booster also is great. you could get what you want by switching caps.
What do you want a large range of? tone? gain?

How about Fat-Boost on turret board, or Rangemaster with voicing switch? :D

I'll add those and the link to rest of my drawings (about 20, new to come) as soon as Photobucket will back online

Cheers
Pawel
The sound comes from the player, not the equipment. You can get a wonderfully heavy guitar tone with a Telecaster and a Twin Reverb...

CynicalMan

Quote from: petemoore on January 14, 2010, 02:12:30 AM
  This type of range, boosted, may be asking a lot of an amplifier.
  That said, a full range boost with a pot/capacitor treble control.

The problem with this is that above the cutoff frequency, the higher the frequency gets, the more it's attenuated. This means that you can't, for example, boost bass and leave mids and treble alone. You'd have to boost bass, leave mids alone, and attenuate treble.
There are easy ways to boost bass and be able to avoid the high frequency attenuation: http://sites.google.com/site/distorque/home/projects/fat-bottom

sinner

The sound comes from the player, not the equipment. You can get a wonderfully heavy guitar tone with a Telecaster and a Twin Reverb...

Speeddemon

Not wanting to nitpick, but re: Rangemaster circuit;

the original had a 5nF (or 0.005uF) input cap. Also, 0,47uF for the full range?! Whoah, holy low-frequency mud, Batman! I hope you meant 0.047uF (47nF) and even that is pushing it, especially with humbuckers.
33nF or 22nF is more useable and still 'full range'.
Meanwhile @ TGP:
"I was especially put off by the religious banterings written inside the LDO pedal. I guess he felt it was necessary to thank God that someone payed $389 for his tubescreamer!"

darron

Quote from: Speeddemon on April 27, 2010, 08:45:05 AM
Not wanting to nitpick, but re: Rangemaster circuit;

the original had a 5nF (or 0.005uF) input cap. Also, 0,47uF for the full range?! Whoah, holy low-frequency mud, Batman! I hope you meant 0.047uF (47nF) and even that is pushing it, especially with humbuckers.
33nF or 22nF is more useable and still 'full range'.

in a circuit like that I use 220n to let full range through. That's fat with no probs
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Speeddemon

I've experimented a lot with those cap values in an RM, and my experience was (with a '68 RI Strat, with US Texas Specials and a Burny LP Custom) that anything above 47nF would be overkill and would only add to muddy the lows extremely. For me 33nF was great for Strats and 22nF was enough for Les Pauls.
Meanwhile @ TGP:
"I was especially put off by the religious banterings written inside the LDO pedal. I guess he felt it was necessary to thank God that someone payed $389 for his tubescreamer!"