How to simulate an ON-ON-ON switch with an ON-OFF-ON switch?

Started by gigimarga, January 14, 2010, 07:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigimarga

Hello,

I've just finished an Fulltone Fulldrive clone using this project (thx Wanderlust): http://wlst.jp/effector/fulldrive2/Full-Drive2-Rev.G.pdf.

It works OK, but it seemed to me that the "Comp Cut-Flat Mids-Vintage" switch acts a little strange. I've searched and I found that the switch is an ON-ON-ON switch, while mine was an ON-OFF-ON.

As it's hard to find here this type of switch, my question is how to simulate it using a ON-OFF-ON or a 4PDT switch?

Thx a lot all!

Processaurus

ON ON ON toggle switches are rare, but you can't get double pole 3 position slide switches?  That or a 2P3T rotary switch would do the correct switching.

If you can't find the switches or don't want to mod the case and were desperate you could make something with a CD4052 or CD4053 analog switch IC and a center off SPDT toggle switch, if you're familiar with logic.

PRR

3P3T switches are readily available in Rotary. Ignore the extra P. (Or wire LEDs.)

Two SPST switches gives the three stock settings.

S4 is diodes in/out.

S3 is some kind of tone/gain loop.

Both S3 and S4 closed together gives the "Flat Mids" position.

This also gives a fourth position not offered in the original: both switches open. I really don't want to untangle that drawing and guess if off-off is useful or psychotic. I don't see how it can hurt the pedal, but if it is too crazy it may throw your speaker across the room; try it with amp gain way down at first. (I suspect it is just loud and not real interesting.)
  • SUPPORTER

chi_boy

This has come up before and someone here recamended an eBay seller named HongKongSuperSeller.

The name shows up in multiple posts is searched here.

I bought some from him and have had no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PKG5-Guitar-DP3T-Toggle-ON-ON-ON-Switch-UL-VERIFIED_W0QQitemZ120493890874QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item1c0dfedd3a
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

gigimarga

Thx a lot all of you: PRR, chi_boy and Processaurus!

Quote from: Processaurus on January 14, 2010, 07:54:49 PM
That or a 2P3T rotary switch would do the correct switching.

How can I do that? I don't know how his ON-ON-ON switches acts. Which are the differences from a ON-OFF-ON one?

trjones1

Smallbear has on-on-on dpdt switches:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=900
Make sure you check out the explanation of how it works in the picture.

gigimarga

Thx a lot trjones1!
Now all it's clear for me!

The saddest thing it's that I am idiot! After I've looked at the wiring diagram of Fulldrive  and at the image from smallbear I realised that  the same thing it's on the schematic and it's very easy to do it with a rotary 2P3T switch (as Processaurus said).
It's hard for me to translate what was in my stupid mind: I thought that the poles from the schematic are referrenced to this particular type of a switch (something like "You tell somebody to wire a 1M resistor between pins 1 and 2 of a TL072, instead to wire the resistor between inverted input and the output of an opamp. If you told him this way, if he want to do the same thing to a 741 he must know first what semnifications have pins 1 and 2 for a TL072 and to look for the equivalents at 741 (pins 2 and 6, if i'm remebering well).").

Thank you all once again!

bumblebee

Quote from: Processaurus on January 14, 2010, 07:54:49 PM
ON ON ON toggle switches are rare, but you can't get double pole 3 position slide switches?  
DP3T slide switches are readily available from mouser and any fender dealer. Mustangs use them.
You can also get 4P3T slide switches from mouser.