"Wind Machine" - you know you want it!

Started by frequencycentral, January 17, 2010, 09:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

Quote from: GiulioGratz on April 10, 2016, 09:41:57 AM
I made the circuit on a stripboard (using the layout provided in this thread) but the volume of the noise is really low

Not all transistors are equally noisy in Zener mode. If you want one that's guaranteed to hiss loudly:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/2n2712-work-alike-noisemakers/

anotherjim

Input to op-amp pin 6 should go through a capacitor - as was done from the noise generator in Rick's original drawing. That cap was 100nF but anything from there down to 10nF should do.

Bipolar Joe

I put the cap in, the result is the same. Here's a clip of some white noise, while I sweep the pot.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0SeoIbjnl6p

petey twofinger

thanks to the folks who contributed to this thread .

, built this from the vero . added a moded delay board froam a hanna montana kiddie guitar toy . it has a lm386 to . i used some old slide pots in  a larger chassis with a 4.5 oval speaker , and a automotive alarm horn (gold and gaudy) . i did build an amz 2 channel mixer in it , so i also have a reversed crybaby circuit ( thanks Dino digi2t ) .

easily replicate pink floyd echos sfx section in a standalone box with a single power supply . with the echo unit going into self oscillation , the wind and the seagull sounds from the crybaby its really a fun little lap top sized box of ridiculousness .

i ran it on battery power at a local pink floyd tribute show but i didnt turn it on during their performance which .... i should have . i would have been doing them a  lot of favors . we will be using this in the future during noise sessions as it is , extremely handy and surprisingly loud too , thanks to the warshowski and co golden horn.

the wind circuit was what really pulled it together . i feel it works well if one operates both the freq and the volume control simul , which are on like like 40mm or so slide pots .  what a fun project ( for me , but i am not as serious of a analog tone guru germanium master  so forgive me ) .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

amptramp

Zeners and reverse-biased emitter-base junctions are not the only way to generate random noise - I have a General Radio 1390-B noise generator that uses a 6D4 gas triode operating at its sustaining voltage of 16 volts with the grid tied to the cathode.  It has a transverse magnetic field applied across the tube to eliminate high-frequency oscillation and increase noise level at high frequencies (it goes up to 5 MHz).  I doubt anyone would want to build one, but I bought mine for $10 at a musical instrument / DJ equipment store that was going out of business and you may run into one at some time too.