TL072 sounds better in Tube Reamer than a 555

Started by jacobyjd, January 17, 2010, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobyjd

That is all.

Sometimes I feel really dumb. This is one of those times  :icon_rolleyes:
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

bobp1339

When I read that title, I was really confused, but now I fully understand. Been there, done that...  same results.
"I love the smell of solder in the morning..."

...Bazz Fuss, EA Trem, Ross Comp, MXR Env Filter, Orange Squeezer, custom bass preamp...
http://chindigband.com

Tonemonger

Hahaha ! I have made many similar discoveries !
It's a pity though 'cos I've got about a dozen 555s that I do'nt know what to do with.

earthtonesaudio

Obviously you never tried a new old stock, made-in-Malaysia NE555P.  Tsk tsk tsk.

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jacobyjd

...to my credit, I was looking for a 4558. All I noticed were a few 5s in the number.

Debugging always cracks me up because of things like this. Everything else about the circuit was completely correct, and it took me forever to realize that it was the IC. That's half the fun of this game :)

The circuit does sound really good. I used a 1M gain pot (didn't have any 500ks), and it sounds great!

gtudoran

Jezzz... i was about to flip out when i saw the title :))

frequencycentral

Soundclips of the 555 based circuit please.  :icon_biggrin:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

jacobyjd

Quote from: frequencycentral on January 18, 2010, 11:28:26 AM
Soundclips of the 555 based circuit please.  :icon_biggrin:

I'll do a virtual one (like the one you did for your wind machine): "......"

My acoustic pick attack was VERY clear, since there was no sound coming from my amp. Fortunately, there were no pops when true-bypassing (even without pull-down resistors), but there was a slight hiss--presumably from the amp. I'll have to work on the S/N ratio a little.

Overall, it made for a nice lo-fi acoustic simulator, albeit a little twangy. It could probably use a few recovery stages (ala the BMP recovery stage), since the bypassed signal was almost silent.

With my synth, it was kind of like a monotone rhythm generator...If I used a mic directed at the keyboard itself in parallel with the synth output my key presses were very percussive.

:icon_biggrin:

Mark Hammer

Yo know what really sucks in a Tube Screamer?  An LM393 dual comparator. :icon_wink:

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 18, 2010, 12:51:07 PM
Yo know what really sucks in a Tube Screamer?  An LM393 dual comparator. :icon_wink:

Man, I'd hate to try and de-bug that one.

cobra94

I'm trying to remember what my LM308A Dyna Comp sounded like... I should know it by heart since it took me about a month to figure that one out!

DougH

A 4558 is much more toneful in a tube screamer than a MAX1044 too...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

ibodog

I bought a used Tone Press (dynacomp) once that had a 4558 in backwards instead of the CA3080.  No wonder the guy who sold it to me said "I just don't get these compressors."  :icon_lol:  Yes, it did make some sound that way!  He mailed me the CA3080 chip later.

Paul Marossy

How much does a Hand Wired Tube Reamer with a vintage 555 IC chip go for?  :icon_lol:

CynicalMan

Quote from: Paul Marossy on January 22, 2010, 05:13:17 PM
How much does a Hand Wired Tube Reamer with a vintage 555 IC chip go for?  :icon_lol:

I don't know, but you have to make sure it's a NOS SA555. The NE555 clips less smoothly, due to its less analog design, and the LM555 is even worse.  :icon_wink:

jacobyjd

I've got the modern version, but I wired it breadboard-style. The added capacitance really warms up the tone. I'd let you have one for the low, low price of $499 (that's how much it would cost you to DIY using the Z-Vex Inventobox).

compuwade

Quote from: jacobyjd on January 22, 2010, 10:08:02 PM

I've got the modern version, but I wired it breadboard-style. The added capacitance really warms up the tone. I'd let you have one for the low, low price of $499 (that's how much it would cost you to DIY using the Z-Vex Inventobox).

Now that's pretty funny!!
Don't feel bad about mixing parts up. I just found my 3rd circuit that I mistook a 270k resistor for a 4.7k. It took me 3 PCB's and 3 seperate builds to figure out why my bass control wouldn't work.  :icon_redface: Talk about over correcting!! LOL

philbinator1

Quote from: jacobyjd on January 18, 2010, 08:46:37 AM
...to my credit, I was looking for a 4558. All I noticed were a few 5s in the number.

Debugging always cracks me up because of things like this. Everything else about the circuit was completely correct, and it took me forever to realize that it was the IC. That's half the fun of this game :)

The circuit does sound really good. I used a 1M gain pot (didn't have any 500ks), and it sounds great!
That's something i've wondered about.  Being in New Zealand (hence the last place on earth to get the crappiest components) i often
can't find the right value pots...what does having the wrong value in there do to the sound? 
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf

compuwade

From my experience a lower value pot usually gives you less gain,volume,tone, whatever you have it connected to. A larger value give's you more. But not always, sometimes different values can create major problems because they are used to set a value somewhere else in the circuit. It really depends on the circuit. However, a gain or a volume pot can usually be lower without any issues except for a lower max gain or max volume. I try my best to stay with the stock values unless I want to mod it for some reason.

-Wade