News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Steal Wool?

Started by theGlitch, January 19, 2010, 02:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theGlitch

I was looking through some pics of people's builds. And it looks like in a few of them people use steal wool. Is this as a buffer between the PCB and the case to avoid shorts?

Hupla

Quote from: theGlitch on January 19, 2010, 02:11:35 PM
I was looking through some pics of people's builds. And it looks like in a few of them people use steal wool. Is this as a buffer between the PCB and the case to avoid shorts?

Are you talking about the padding some ppl use in their case to avoid shorts between the pcb and the case?
Im pretty sure its not steel wool.
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

theehman

I wouldn't "steal" wool as it might result in jail time but I do use "steel" wool sometimes to polish/clean up the copper on a circuit board prior to soldering.  I can't image anyone would actually put some in a build, though.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Jarno

+1, it's conductive so it'll actually short rather then prevent them. As Ron said, polish a board just before soldering, and experience the bliss of perfect solderjoints.

theGlitch

Sorry for my typo -- I'm half awake in the office...

I'm referring to it being under the PCB (at least in the pictures it looks like steel wool)

for example: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64752.msg511844#msg511844

PS.
     I'm getting coffee now

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: theGlitch on January 19, 2010, 02:36:39 PM
Sorry for my typo -- I'm half awake in the office...

I'm referring to it being under the PCB (at least in the pictures it looks like steel wool)

for example: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64752.msg511844#msg511844

PS.
     I'm getting coffee now
That's Velcro, not Steel wool.
Try a little tenderness.

JKowalski

Usually in build where my circuit board is floating, i.e. no solid connections to the chassis, I will place a section of foam pad underneath the board to protect the traces from shorting on anything. I assume that's what you are referring to.

jkokura

some kind of fabric is good. what I use is adhesive foam - it's mostly used for cars, but 3M makes it. It basically looks like a roll of foam with red tape on one side. I just don't take the red tape off. It's insulating, keeps the board up from the enclosure about 1/16-1/8 inch, and it's easy to use.

Plastic standoffs could be used also.

Jacob

theGlitch

I've heard of a lot of people gluing the PCB to the enclosure using epoxy -- how tight of a bond would be made with just 1 edge of the PCB being glued? I've messed up the enclosure on a build several times and I'm hoping to salvage the most recent enclosure with some dremeling and short protection (probably cloth)

Hupla

I just coverd the lid with electrical tape cause it was a tight fit
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: theGlitch on January 19, 2010, 04:04:23 PM
I've heard of a lot of people gluing the PCB to the enclosure using epoxy -- how tight of a bond would be made with just 1 edge of the PCB being glued? I've messed up the enclosure on a build several times and I'm hoping to salvage the most recent enclosure with some dremeling and short protection (probably cloth)

I've done this.  It works great, the only issues are making sure you can support the board in the correct position for the entire length of the curing time.

The negative point of this method?  Removing the board to repair or modify down the line is no fun!
Try a little tenderness.

oldschoolanalog

Take a piece of steel wool and touch it to the terminals of a 9V battery.
Do this outdoors.
:P
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

jkokura

I know of guys who do that while camping to start fires...

Jacob

morcey2

Quote from: jkokura on January 19, 2010, 11:32:00 PM
I know of guys who do that while camping to start fires...

Jacob

A wad of steel wool and a C-cell are a great emergency fire starter.  Just be sure to store them separately. 

KazooMan

I have also used velcro to attach the PCB to the case.  I found that something in the adhesive was causing corrosion on the board so I gave up on it.  I still use it to mount 9V batteries.

bean

I nearly set my worksation on fire a few years ago by mixing a 9v and a piece of #0000. fun!