Big Muff + Booster on a box.... which goes first?

Started by nordine, January 20, 2010, 05:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordine

i was thinking on this one idea (im doing this for a fellow guitarrist)

a booster + a big muff...... now, do one get any benefit putting a booster in front of a muff?
or rather, after a muff? ....thinking as a guitarrist, what would be the wiser choice?

other idea i was thinking off was forgetting the booster thing and adding one pot for double gain controlling and a toggle for raising the mids... gain and toggle controlled by one stopswitch.... in the line of selecting solo/rhythm stuff

ideas?

John Lyons

A lot of people like the boost before the muff.
Something with a treble boost or at least not a lot of bass
will help get more sustain and keep the tone from becoming mush.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

nordine

Quote from: John Lyons on January 20, 2010, 05:18:26 PM
A lot of people like the boost before the muff.
Something with a treble boost or at least not a lot of bass
will help get more sustain and keep the tone from becoming mush.

being the booster a SHO, it'll do the job i think

so to the trash goes the toggle+etc idea?

T1bbles

I spent a lot of time making little booster circuits to put before my Big Muff. Treble boosters are your best bet, a Screeming Bird would be a stellar choice. Doubt you'll need to go any further than a google search to get the schematic for that one!
Behringer don't do signatures, but if they did, they'd probably stop working mid sen

caress

simple.  have the boost on a toggle to select whether it comes pre- or post-muff... easy peasy!

El Heisenberg

I cant play any of my big muffs without the rangemaster in front. Im still confused at why people love big muffs. Tho i cabt talk too much trash having built 4...
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

Mark Hammer

Anything that gooses the signal ahead of the BMP will increase the sustain and "sickness" quotient.  Essentially it functions like cranking up the Sustain pot.  If your buddy wants to go from modest grit to all-out fuzz, this will do it.

If all he wants is a hit of extra bite and sizzle, then why not simply consider a footswitchable bypass cap on the Sustain pot?  That will let the treble bypass whatever the pot is set to as if the Sustain is on full for the treble alone.  The apparent treble boost will be greater when the Sustain pot is turned down than if the Sustain pot is turned up.  Of course when the Sustain pot is up full, the bypass cap will have no effect.

A booster stage placed after the BMP will simply make whatever you have the BMP set to louder.

El Heisenberg

both are usefull. So two boosters!! mwyuahahaha!

petemoore

Before drives the distortion to more, no to not much boosted output, the diodes make sure of that.
  The BMP output is generally set to less than max AIUnderstand it, lots of output from the full muff.
  Booster on the output will change tone somewhat, especially if getting a hot BMP output as it's input.
  IOW the output's doing pretty good the way it is or if not, put another booster after the recovery-boost.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mth5044

I have a SHO going into a BMP and I can tell you it is fantastic :D I also have the zendrive before it, also fantastic.

El Heisenberg

been meaning to get to the SHO....and the fulltone fat boost. Boosters are so small thoooo...

mth5044

Quote from: El Heisenberg on January 21, 2010, 01:03:34 AM
been meaning to get to the SHO....and the fulltone fat boost. Boosters are so small thoooo...

That's why mines sitting in an enclosure with a drive. Five knobs, two stomps switches and a order switch on the top fit perfectly.

Ibanezfoo

I like a TS808 before a rams head big muff to give it a little "boost".  Adds a little crunch to it.