Pinnacle problem

Started by iqvalue, January 22, 2010, 04:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iqvalue

I built wampler pinnacle using this schematic:
<Schematic link removed due to manufacturer request 1-24-10>
But I have one problem...
When the tone knob is turned to the right it sounds normal, graphicaly like this:

But when tone knob is in the middle or left positions (more bass) it behaves like this:

So when i hit a string, it takes about a second to reach normal volume.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

caspercody

Check your wiring, or bad pot?

I have made this pedal using that schematic, and have had no problems.

iqvalue

i suppose everything is ok before the tone pot, so its probably something in that contour circuit. what jfets did you used?

caspercody

All are J201. The contour pot is a reverse taper. Not sure if it would have this effect you are having. I did remove the boost switch, ad the resistors. I do not have any need for the boost, and when I did turn on the boost had a lot more noise.

I used the pcb layout for the BSIAB from GGG. Added my own for the contour, and re arranged the components for the last stage on a fetzer valve pcb.

iqvalue

I used J201s for 2nd stage, others are 2n5457.

Now I plugged it on another 9V supply and it works ok, but on battery and another adapter it produces that effect :S

Now I think it pulls some supply voltage to ground so it works with stronger power supplys.

Edit: Is it possible that problems are caused because i connected +9V directly, without diode?

caspercody

Probably not. The diode is there to protect from if you connected battery backwards. I have always used my on a 9 volt battery. never tried on any other power source.

earthtonesaudio

Measure drain voltages on the last two JFETs.  They should be not too far from 1/2 supply voltage.  I bet one or both of them is biased badly.

iqvalue

is used 15k resistors as on schematic

maybe i should use J201 instead 2n5457 for last two transistors, I'll try to replace them with J201s

caspercody

Make a audio probe, and check output from each stage. I do not think the different Jfets are the issue.

earthtonesaudio

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting the substitution of a different JFET is the problem, but simply the fact that they are JFETs.

wampcat1

where did you find this schematic?

iqvalue

iqvalue

I changed last jfet and biased it and it works fine now

caspercody

Glad to hear you got it working. What do you think of the sound? Close to the Pinnacle?

Wonder if you had a bad Jfet? Or if the pin out was different on the Jfet you had? What Jfets did you end up using?

Paul Marossy

The Pinnacle schematic is not supposed to be floating around on the internet. I wonder if someone reversed it?

iqvalue

1st stage - 2x 2n5457
2nd stage - 2x J201
3rd stage - 2n5457
4th stage - J201

works excelent now!

pinout is the same for both of them, I bought them from banzai

wampcat1

Quote from: Paul Marossy on January 25, 2010, 11:32:02 AM
The Pinnacle schematic is not supposed to be floating around on the internet. I wonder if someone reversed it?

I'm guessing so... the bad thing is that it (the posted schem) was totally incorrect, so hopefully I won't have a ton of people floating around saying the pedal sounds terrible! (well, at least because of an incorrect assumed design :D )
bw

Paul Marossy

Quote from: wampcat1 on January 25, 2010, 01:12:09 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on January 25, 2010, 11:32:02 AM

I'm guessing so... the bad thing is that it (the posted schem) was totally incorrect, so hopefully I won't have a ton of people floating around saying the pedal sounds terrible! (well, at least because of an incorrect assumed design :D )
bw

I see. Well, they'll just have to use a schematic like that at their own risk then, won't they?! Besides, once they hear the real thing, they'll know that the Real McCoy isn't jacked up. :icon_wink:

iqvalue

problem with mine was in bad transistor, by replacing it, drain voltage increased to 4V from 0,8V. I also changed bias little bit and now its 4,5V

comparing to youtube videos its pretty much like original pinnacle, in a few days i'll be able to compare them face to face.

wampcat1

Quote from: iqvalue on January 25, 2010, 06:45:07 PM
problem with mine was in bad transistor, by replacing it, drain voltage increased to 4V from 0,8V. I also changed bias little bit and now its 4,5V

comparing to youtube videos its pretty much like original pinnacle, in a few days i'll be able to compare them face to face.

which version? We've changed the circuit quite a bit over the years...