Guitar input jack - Normally open / closed

Started by chromesphere, January 24, 2010, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hi All,

I bought some of these on ebay, not realising, i believe, they are 'normally closed' instead of the other type, being 'normally open'?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300329971074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Have i bought the wrong type for a standard battery disconnect type of switch jack (pull out the input cable and the battery turns off)? 

Can they be modified somehow to be this type?  Otherwise, ill probably just have to use them for mono jacks instead...

Thanks for any info! ;-)

CS
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

PRR

The picture shows normally-closed switch on Tip but no switch on Ring. 
  • SUPPORTER

earthtonesaudio

Stereo jack switching doesn't require anything but a stereo jack.  The switch is unnecessary, but won't do any harm either.

When you insert a mono plug into a stereo jack, the sleeve of the plug shorts the ring contact of the jack to ground.  Tie battery (-) to the ring connection and removing the plug will take the battery out of circuit.

rustypinto

What you have there is a Circuit 6 as seen here:

http://mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/640/1157.pdf

So if you follow the terminals from top to bottom:
1st = ring
2nd = tip
3rd = "normal"
4th = sleeve

Like earthtones said, all that is required is a stereo jack, or Circuit 5 in the catalog.

The jack you bought does everything the stereo jack does, only the 4th "normal" terminal can be used to break a circuit between normal and tip when a male jack is inserted. One example of how to use these are with expression pedal inputs.
  • SUPPORTER

chromesphere

Awesome!!

Thanks for the explanation guys and your help!  I've always struggled to work out whats going on with these 'closed' input jacks, now i understand!

Thanks again for all your help!

CS
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube